youtube getting more aggressive… i’ve got firefox and ublock but this shit is still coming up

• stoy@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Get Firefox, install uBlock Origin, clear the filter cache, and reload the filter cache.

Worked for me and my dad

It is time to stop the Chrome plauge.

• Goodie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s currently working, but every few days youtube will tweak something, and sometime later (minutes to hours) there will be an ublock update for it.

Sometimes you have to wait a little longer, but this is the arms race.

• Goodie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It’s often far easier to attack than defend.

Google has to find and block every way, ublock just has to make a new way to bypass the blocks.

• Cornelius_Wangenheim@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

They’re working on a final solution to the ad blocker problem. If they’re successful in pushing their Web Environment Integrity API, there’s nothing Firefox or ublock will be able to do.

• Kodemystic@lemmy.kodemystic.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

What about piped like solutions hostux, invidious etc? How do they work? Is it through API? Can Google block it like reddit did theirs? Also if google is so concerned about ad blockers why do they allow those extensions in their Chrome store? I thinks its going to get really tough to get Youtube for free without ads. Eventually Youtube might become something like Netflix or something.

• TauZero@mander.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Piped/invidious work by scrapping the video chunks directly from google and proxying them through volunteer servers. They will stop working as soon as google gets around to locking down the APIs that they are abusing, or blocks their server IPs.

• NeoNachtwaechter@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

I find it funny

I’m not having any fun. How dare they! With all the evil virus attacks nowadays and most of them starting through online ads, using an adblocker is a matter of security. And it is my decision, not theirs. None of their business.

• Goodie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I might read the article later, but your thesis is right.

This isn’t a arms race, it’s also convenience race.

Is it more convenient for me to turn off ublock, or go through ublocks menus and update its filters? Do I dislike ads that much? Maybe I do, maybe I don’t. But some people will turn off their adblock of choice, even if it technically still works if you update it. Their conversion rate of viewer to ad consumer will (probably) go up.

• Melllvar@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

It’s worth the read. I really only posted it because you have to respect the technical prowess involved. Also it’s kind of funny.

• tyrant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I switched over to piped.video and no ads. Just moved my subscriptions over. Not sure how long it will last but so far it’s good

• Denvil@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

If that doesn’t work, get the youtube enhancer extension. Turn off it’s built in adblock. You’ll have a bunch of buttons on the bottom of the video, one of which is remove ads, which becomes skip ads when an ad plays. You will still get ads, but you’ll be able to instantly skip them all without setting off their adblock detector. (Ps, to get the bar in fullscreen, set it to bottom of window)

• credit crazy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Huh I might try some ytenhancer only sessions to keep a eye on how bad eds have been getting without having to waste my time

• Kalash@feddit.ch
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Yet, I’ve not gotten any of these messages on Chrome + uBlock Origin so far.

• HuddaBudda@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

They are probably hitting people in waves, in an effort to make sure this isn’t a surge, then a massive protest like the Unity situation.

But once google realizes they’ll have to burn serious money and make their product worse on the global stage to fix the problem, they’ll quit just like Microsoft, AOL, and Netscape.

But I think this campaign is just there to loosen the people who installed an ad-block, but have no idea what an ad-block is.

Which will be different from the people who know about “alternate methods,” and will easily slip the google net unnoticed.

• Karyoplasma
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It’s more like field testing the change than managing backlash. They go somewhat hand-in-hand, but the intention Google has is mainly to reduce false positives.

• circuitfarmer@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I feel like all of these suggestions will have short lifespans.

There is no good replacement for YouTube currently, but ultimately a long term solution means replacing the service.

A long(er) term solution than little hacks with FF and ublock are things like piped.

• Karyoplasma
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Updating uBlock and filters has a bigger Impact than choice of browser. You could be situated in one of the data clusters that implement new detection methods first, so the filter lists are not updated yet when they hit you with a changed detection script.

Also, if you use Enhancer for YT, disable the built-in ad blocking there. That feature triggers the pop-up as well.

• Canopyflyer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

My family watches several Youtube channels on the main HTPC. It had Chrome for them to use, as that is what the kids and my wife are familiar with from school/ work. Then this BS started. I use Firefox on my personal PC and have yet to have a problem.

So I dumped Chrome off of the HTPC.

It would be amusing if Chrome lost a ton of market share to Firefox and other browsers.

• Mereo@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

It won’t. We are an extreme minority who really have the know-how to get around this. The majority will just give in and subscribe.

This is what happened with Netflix. Everyone thought that Netflix would lose subscribers with the crackdown on password sharing. On the contrary, they gained subscribers and is bringing even more revenue: https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix-adds-88-million-subscribers-amid-password-sharing-crackdown-hikes-prices-for-some-plans.

• danque@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

In other words, the general population likes to be used by companies and really don’t give a shit as long as they can watch videos.

• businessfish@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

not so much that they like to be used by companies, but that they don’t care enough to change or learn how to stop it. for most people, the idea of giving up their favorite online service because of ads or whatever other predatory anti consumer shit it implements is a little extreme.

as long as it works, the vast majority of people who are not tech-literate will just use it regardless.

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Most people sell their time and personal information (including deeply personal stuff) dirt cheap.

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

In other words, the general population likes to be is okay with being used by companies and really don’t give a shit as long as they can watch videos.

• SoleInvictus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

I hate that you’re right. Not because of you, but because the situation is ridiculous.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Not quite.
          If users see thry need to invest more brain power in tech than plugging a cable in and pressing the power button, they will either give up or ask tech literate folk. They are like an extreme toddler with tech.
          You wouldn’t expect a toddler to write a speech

• Ado@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Lmao you all are so cringy. The general population sees it as a value proposition that makes sense for them.

• uranibaba@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Three persons sharing one user profile vs just paying for Netflix myself, I don’t feel used.

• Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Blocking ads on YouTube is kind of like eating meat. It can’t quite be morally justified, but I’m still guilty of it.

Currectly I’m updating uBlock 3 times a day to keep up with YouTube’s detection algorithms, so I’m obviously willing to go to great lenghts to block ads, but after it gets difficult enough, I’ll most likely just give in and get a subscribtion. It’s by far the most valuable streaming service for me, yet I’ve used it (ad)free for more than 15 years. If now is the time they say enough, then fine. It was good while it lasted. I don’t think that ads-based bussines model is the way to go anyways, so perhaps I should practice what I preach. Currenltly I’m only paying for Spotify and one podcast.

If competiton comes along that’s even one tenth as good, I’m perfectly willing to jump ship, though. Google has lost my trust.

• Marin_Rider@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

this is an issue. whole family can use netflix etc with one payment. if you have separate youtube accounts (everyone has their own subs etc) you all need individual youtube premium accounts so you can watch ad free. it’s stupid (I’m ignoring why yt premium isn’t a good idea anyway unless you use yt music)

edit: I see there is a family plan. my bad

• Karyoplasma
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I use Chrome on my work laptop and Firefox on my personal computron and I either get the pop-up on both devices or not at all.

• SneakyWeasel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Sharing this: don’t know why this works, but my dad found refreshing the cache in UBlock makes this thing finally shut the fuck up.

• TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It updates Ublocks filters. They are updating those as YouTube changes things. Ublock has worked flawlessly on firefox YouTube for me so far. I have not even seen the popup once.

• KneeTitts@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Plus you should add Anti-adblock killer by Reek, a combination of those 2 makes the entire problem go away… for now. I would also whitelist youtube in other addons like disconnect as those can also trigger youtubes immune response.

• Frellwit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Anti-adblock killer by Reek

That thing is unmaintained and have not been updated for over 7 years. It will do absolutely nothing.

If you have issues with YouTube: https://old.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/about/sticky?num=2

I have to add some things though:

1. Read the thread thoroughly, you may have missed a step or 2, or may have misunderstood something. There’s a lot of noise in the replies. Filter maintainers can’t always give support or keep up with the noise. Being pushy, unfriendly, or replying to the thread without doing every step will not fix the problem for you. If you have technical knowledge, consider contributing that knowledge.
        2. Do not add random filters, scripts, extensions from random users. If you don’t understand what you’re doing you may add something that may work against you instead of for you, or in worse cases add something malicious.
        3. YouTube seems to update their anti-ab script at least twice a day more or less. So just: Click 🛡️ uBO’s icon > the ⚙ Dashboard button > the Filter lists pane > the 🕘 clock icon at the end of the uBlock filters – Quick fixes list > the 🔃 Update now button. Do NOT click purge all caches and update now, that will only add more pressure to the filter hosts.
        4. If there’s a mismatch between the filter fixes and YouTube’s latest fixes, just wait, watch the video logged out, or use an alternative front-end like piped, invidious, or whatever.
        • KneeTitts@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Anti-adblock killer

Wow I didnt know it was unmaintained, I see that now. Well something I did actually worked because Im currently not getting any warnings from youtube

• OpenHammer6677@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Freetube has been a great alternative for me. While it still doesn’t have tabs, I just figured out earlier today that middle clicking opens the link or video to a new window.

• BReel@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I’ve been using free tube for about a month now and been really happy.

My only downsides are that I use it on multiple comps, and like to watch YouTube on my tv as well, and by freetubes very nature, those don’t sync subs/history etc. which is expected of course.

The other bummer for me personally is I did really like the YouTube algorithms suggestions for me, so it’s a little harder for me to find new creators now.

But all in all, minor issues for some completely free software that works well and does what it says it’ll do! Would absolutely suggest people at least give it a try!

• nopersonalspace@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yeah, honestly that’s the main blocker for me. For all of the hate it gets, I had the YouTube algorithm pretty well-tuned to what I liked.

Wish there was something like freetube that would still preserve views/ suggestions.

• BReel@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I have had free tube very loosely recommend me some related videos, but nothing like the full feed yet.

I wonder if they could somehow make a section of like “videos that are not from your subs, but would be recommended under your subs videos” to explore other creators with similar content.

No idea if you can scrape that kinda info from YouTube without all the account stuff though.

• Sir_Kevin@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Occasionally I’ll click over to the Trending list to see if there’s anything if interest. That mostly seems to represent what teenagers are watching but there are occasional gems in there.

• uncle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Honestly, if YouTube offered a $5 adfree video plan I’d pay for it. It’s not worth $14/month in my opinion

• sin_free_for_00_days@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I think these companies are starting to run into the brick wall caused by disgusting wealth inequality and the subsequent inability to spend as frivolously as needed for a healthy economy.

• Rakonat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Also just coming to the realization that advertising on the internet has always been done atrociously (not that RL advertising is any better but at least follows some kind of structure and isn’t thrown in your face repeatedly) and that a large swath of people do not want to deal with it or interact with it.

Rather than fix something that is clearly broken, they’d rather double down, throw money at it and make it more of a problem than admit they need to reign it in and put some common sense and sanity checks on how advertising should take place online.

• GreenM@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Its product life cycle in their eyes came to the phase of “cash cow” . They are milking what was built in past untill there’s anything left. It was same with gaming industry. It seems inevitable once company reaches certain size (not in people count sense). That’s why we need alternative to keep things good for users.

• archchan@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s the YouTube Premium Lite plan that they killed off less than a month ago.

• Rakonat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Youtube would profit off of $2 a month the fact that they need to charge 14 is just greed

• Rakonat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

According to the latest reports, over 2.70 billion people worldwide use YouTube per month.

This was 2022 and there is conflicting figures, most of which are 2 billion to 2.8 billion regular users (regular use of at least once a week, most daily.) https://www.globalmediainsight.com/blog/youtube-users-statistics/

Google has claimed youtube costs 5 billion a year to run back in 2019 but has never put out a solid figure or statement to the public, Entourage Marketing & Design did research in 2019 but the article seems to be down as I can’t locate the actual source. This could be inaccurate today but all information I’ve seen points to it still being single digit billions to operate year to year.

If these figures are accurate, 2USD from their claimed regular users would put them near their break even point without even considering income from advertisers or other investors and business opportunities. If they really did intend for every adult youtube user (roughly 80% of their audience) to pay them 14USD a month, that’s still over five times their operating costs alone.

Clearly, youtube is getting a lot more money from advertisers then they are from premium users, which is why they are trying to make the free to use option on their website so awful and unbearable that people will pay them directly to skip the ads (though rumblings have been going around at them finding ways to insert ads into premium user viewing experience as well.) And since the advertising side is so toxic and predatory they can tell when people are using ad blockers to avoid it, it reports back they aren’t watching ads and thus tries to prevent people from utilizing the service entirely until their participation generates money for youtube.

• SasquatchBanana@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Fuck that shit. They’d just increase it gradually until it hit 80$. They also don’t care about the user experience playing shit ads that are some times horrific (like the recent Israel propaganda ads with war, or 1 hr + ads, or salacious ads). They also inject the ads at the worst possible spots. They should give creators that control but fuck them.

Don’t give Youtube or Google that option. This is what they want. They are ruining the internet further.

• regbin_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s way too expensive. I guess regional pricing did me good because here it costs an equivalent of $3.75 (RM 17.90). That much for Premium + Music ain’t no way I’m not taking it.

Spotify costs $3.35 (RM 15.90).

• djdadi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I cancelled Spotify and use YouTube for music and videos now so it’s worth $14 to me. Just loaded all my Spotify playlists into YTM. Interface isn’t as good as other music apps, but it has a pretty insane catalog, especially for stuff like remixes and bootlegs

• danielfgom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’d pay €1 a month. Max. If only 50 million people did the same, they’d make 50 million per month. Must be more than they make now from ads…

• GreenM@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Not to mention, ads make so much less per user. And if you started to click on most of them they will demonetize the content creator for it.
      So those 14 bucks / per user is like the user was thousand people watching hundreds of videos roughly speaking.

• Kedly@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Ublock Origin Settings - Clear Cache - Update - Refresh Youtube

• JGrffn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s a matter of who gets tired quicker at this point, YouTube, ublock maintainers, or users. We’re on the losing side, and alternative front ends sound like the “we’re cornered” solution. I imagine Google won’t take long to break them as well.

• Pika@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

the engineers won’t get tired, they are paid not to. Not to say that people shouldn’t try to evade it. This is super predatory but understandable cause of its income model.

• deegeese@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

The engineering managers will get tired of spending their budget on something that produces no return on investment. Google has no attention span for anything.

• pineapplepizza@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

The engineering managers get directed by corporate executives to implement a feature like this. If the engineering manager resists or protests they won’t be meeting there kpi target. there are plenty of other people to fill the role.

• deegeese@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

A feature like this can get approval to be worked on, but what’s harder to defend is spending money on it every quarter when there won’t be any tangible benefit to point towards.

Google will get bored and move on to the next shiny thing to juice revenues.

• bassomitron@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Because simply by going to the website, Google is automatically making money off of you due to how intrusively they spy on your behavior 24/7 (unless you’re in the very small minority that takes extensive effort to stay private online and on your phone). Google is showing me ads all the fucking time, and now they want to force even more ads every 5 minutes or less on YouTube videos (ads on YT now are far more intrusive and frequent than even 5 years ago). For them to say, “You either consume even more targeted ads or we’re banning you,” is some weird quasi-hostage level shit.

“But how can Google pay for YouTube if you’re blocking ads!?!?” Dude, YouTube makes hundreds of millions in PROFIT every year, they’re fine if some ads during videos are missed. Like I said, simply going to their website makes them money because they harvest data across all of their dozens of platforms and services. Don’t suck Google’s dick, they are not your friend. YouTube just has a monopoly on user created videos. If there were a viable alternative, I’d happily jump to that in a heartbeat and even pay like $5/mo for it.

• kameecoding@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

I am sorry, who is forcing you to watch YouTube videos?

. If there were a viable alternative, I’d happily jump to that in a heartbeat and even pay like $5/mo for it.

Floatplane, Nebula/curiositystream, patreons of creators.

• bassomitron@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

You realize how much information is on YouTube, right? We have to use it at work all the time when our safety officer does their monthly trainings, among other things. YouTube is ubiquitous to every day life, don’t act like anything even remotely compares in terms of video content.

And yes, I do use patreon for some creators but to even pretend it’s comparable to the entirety of YouTube is ridiculous. Floatplane is promising but is very new. Never heard of Nebula, guessing it is similarly new or limited.

• kameecoding@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

if you have to use it at work, get your company to pay for it, and there you go, no ads

• aceshigh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

how much money do you think yt is losing to ubo, and how much does it cost for yt to keep updating the code? financially it may not be worth it.

• PM_ME_FEET_PICS@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It doesn’t. This is being rolled out to all users. Eventually you will have to clear cash every time you want to watch YouTube with Ublock Origin.

• N3Cr0@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Good point! Clearing cache on exit is my firefox’ default setting. Do recommend!

• PeWu@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Developer singlehandedly overthrowing corporation’s decisions is my type of shit

• RealFknNito@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

A reminder that if this doesn’t work, they’ll bake ads into the player like Hulu and Twitch. Can’t block those, at least in a way that gets you back to the content seemlessly.

• FartsWithAnAccent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I knew Google would get around to killing YouTube sooner or later: Looks like the slow death has begun.

Like all things Google that people like: It must die, Google will not allow it to live.

Coming to you in 2025: GoogleTube, brought to you by Alphabet!

• ares35@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

there’s enough people mindlessly consuming content off the site via mobile or tv, or are clueless about adblockers to begin with, youtube will continue to exist and be profitable even if every adblocking user never visited the site again.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Until alternatives take off because the user experience becomes increasingly shitty. You really think Google isn’t going to ratchet up the ads over time?

• SCB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

YouTube ensuring it gets ad revenue is the exact opposite of killing it.

• TheBlackLounge@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

People who use ad blockers aren’t the type of people to click the ads. We’re doing a Google a service by improving conversion statistics.

• Sowhatever
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m sure using hours of 4k bandwidth while getting nothing in return is a great deal for alphabet… 🙄

Bandwidth is EXPENSIVE. If you are not clicking on the ads and not even watching the ads, every minute you use the site is costing them money. They are just optimizing costs by cutting all “leechers”.

YouTube doesn’t need “exposure” or to “convince investors of an active user base”. They don’t need to keep users that cost them money because they have enough users already. They are well into the “monetization” phase.

• BraveSirZaphod@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s always amusing to see people claiming to be these masters of business strategies pushing such excellent advice as “pay money to provide a service to people who supply no revenue”.

Don’t get me wrong; there absolute is a point where you can be so overly burdensome that you’re going to push legitimate customers away and ultimately hurt yourself more than you help, and YouTube absolutely does do some stupid things, but business is so much more complicated than people like to think.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

They get tons of money harvesting data alone, the service isn’t free: We are the product and, on top of that, they get their content for free with the actual creators of said content getting a pittance compared to what they provide for Google.

Additionally: I have never seen a credible report that indicates ad blocking actually has any sort of significant impact on revenue. Do you happen to have any because that argument sure smells like corpo bullshit.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I know this is a joke but like, seriously, I really believe most internet ads (maybe most ads period) are ableist because of this.

I have to get all notifications and alerts set up just fucking right because of they happen too often my brain filters them out. If they never happen then obviously I miss them. I have to very carefully tweak everything around me.

I literally stopped this post mod sentence to do something else. I don’t remember what it is but I’m back now. My life is a living hell sometimes and ads are fucking shit.

• sugartits@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Do you think running YouTube is free?

Either the advertisers pay for it, or you do. That’s the deal.

• ElectroNeutrino@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

That’s a good question.

There’s actually more value in metadata than just for advertising, such as scientific and general market research. And even just talking about ads, it’s still useful for both targeted and non-targeted ads and is not limited to the YouTube advertising space.

• eskimofry@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Do you think my data and internet connection is free? Either I give some money, and hope that youtube doesn’t insert ads in the premium version of youtube or I give up my data and download obnoxious and potentially harmful ads.

• Zacryon@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Do you think targeted advertising and creating detailed user profiles for that is the only way to run ads?

• Squorlple@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

What could come of people clicking on the “Report issue” option and sending back tons of false reports claiming that they have gotten the pop-up message despite not using an ad-blocker?

• commie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

i gave feedback that basically said “fuck you. fuck this. this is exactly how you generate bad will.”

• Squorlple@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

It asked me to include a screenshot of the page and highlight areas of the image to draw attention to them, so I sent a screenshot similar to the one in this post and highlighted every use of the word “ads”. I also sardonically lauded false praise of the site and its advertisements in the written reply.

• Norgur@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

You can put up with that… Or you could just switch to a Piped instance and be done with it all.

• beeb@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Piped is great, the content goes through a proxy so there’s no interaction with YouTube servers and your account and subscriptions are also isolated.

• kurwa@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

So wait how does that work? Are you still using your YouTube account on Piped or is it something else?

• beeb@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

You can of course export your yt subscriptions as a CSV file and import them into Piped, and you can also use a difference instance to host your account/data as the one you’re using to stream the content. Did I mention built-in sponsorblock support and native apps like LibreTube?

• mrsgreenpotato
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

How is that “legal” though? Will it not be harassed by Google at some point to turn it down?

• _dev_null@lemmy.zxcvn.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s not illegal, but maybe against YT terms of service. I’ve seen reports that google is starting to IP ban piped instances.

I’m taking it with a grain of salt anyway, as I haven’t read any first hand accounts. And it would be interesting to see if google really is banning IPs, even ones in aws/azure/linode/gcp(lol)/etc IP blocks.