• PunnyName@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

“Being a lesbian sucks sometimes. You tell another girl she’s a hottie, and she says, “thanks” like we’re being friendly. I ain’t just being friendly, I’m trying to fuck!”

I think I translated it correctly.

• force@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

yea and galician “looks like” a dialect of spanish, norwegian “looks like” a dialect of danish, and afrikaans “looks like” a dialect of dutch. hell, i can say english “looks like” a dialect of ulster scots. “dialect”/“accent” and “language” are meaningless words

that being said the text in this post is scottish english, not scots

• soulsource
        link
        fedilink
        Deutsch
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

A geh, is doch iagendwie liab, oda?

Übahaupt, jetzt wo si Hochdeutsch imma mea duachsetzt, und vü junge Leit übahaupt nimma richtig östareichisch1 redn leanan, missn ma doch schaun, dass unsa Sproch net oafoch ausstiabt, oda?

Mia hom a a longe Tradition, wonns um Mundoatdichtung geht. Da Dichta von da obaöstareichischn Hymne zum Beispü, da Stelzhamer Franz, hot gonz vü in Mundoat gschribn.

Und weis ma grod eifoit: Es gibt a a eigene Wikipedia in unsam Dialekt: https://bar.wikipedia.org/ Oba do dua i ma söm schwah, dass i des vasteh. De is scho in da äagstn von de oagn Mundoatn gschribm.

(So, jetzt woas i net, wöcha Sproch i im Dropdown do untn auswöhn soid… Wei wirklich Deitsch is des jo net…)

[1] I am fully aware that the dialect I’m writing in is not called “Austrian”. The two big dialects spoken in Austria are “Alemannic” and “Bavarian”, and the one I’m writing is the Bavarian dialect. I’m only using the word “östareichisch” here, because that’s what I expect most people to use in spoken conversation.

• TheDarksteel94@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Oh Gott, Oida. Ich habs gerade geschafft, den Text zu entziffern. Aber ernsthaft, ich glaub bei sowas immer auf den ersten Blick, dass da wer nen Schlaganfall bekommen hat und einfach mit dem Gesicht über die Tastatur gerollt ist lol.

• soulsource
            link
            fedilink
            Deutsch
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

War ja auch nicht ernst gemeint. Ich bin bei diversen Chats im Freundeskreis eigentlich immer der einzige, der auf Hochdeutsch antwortet 😉.

• Stamets@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Newfies do the same. Was a whole fuckin thing to unlearn when I found the Internet lol

• Swarfega@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I hate reading the Americans now typing “y’all”.

• Jackcooper@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I’m a northerner and I still had to accept the unimpeachable logic that y’all is a versatile and useful word

• chicken@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

The English language is sorely lacking gender neutral pronouns so it’s nice that one is getting added

• HowManyNimons@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                6 months ago

“You” is gender neutral, in its singular and plural form. “Y’all” is a useful plural form of “you” but as a New Zealand-English hybrid I do not have the accent to pull it off. If I could shift my accent further north perhaps I could get away with “thou” and “ye” for singular and plural forms, but only where they fit grammatically.

• chicken@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

It is explicitly plural where ‘you’ is hard to pull off as plural because it leans heavily towards singular, just like ‘they’ leans heavily towards plural. At least in the US afaik the main competitor is ‘you guys’ for plural, which is one of those terms that is normally meant as gender neutral but the words clearly are not. So despite being from a place where that is the correct way to say it I’m in favor of y’all becoming the standard across the whole language, which it seems like it might be moving towards doing.

• SCB@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

“ya’ll” is also American English’s answer to the problem of not have a plural form of “you” (see also: “you guys” or “you all” from which ya’ll is derived).

Due to English being heavily influenced by Romance languages, but not taking its grammatical structure purely from them, we really had no single-word version of “vous” (I don’t know other romance languages aside from French).

• dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Easily America’s best contribution to civilization, after “right (turns) on red”.

And I’m glad it’s catching on instead of “you’uns”, “yuns”, or “yous”.

• Lemminary@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I’m not American and I will forever type y’all because it’s useful and I like it lol

• Thief_of_Crows@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Y’all is just a useful word, other ways of referring to a group of people are ambiguous, esp. now that They doesn’t always mean multiple

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

It’s easier if you read it out loud with a Scottish accent. Works for novels as well!

“Nac Mac Feegle! The Wee Free Men! Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! We willna’ be fooled again!”

― Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

• unhappy_grapefruit 2@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

West country you say wes… Oh no oh lord not cornwall cornwall makes me want to bash my head into a wall I’ll rather watch paint dry on said wall than listen to someone from Cornwall describe Cornwall history OH DEAR GOD HE WONT BLOODY SHUT UP HELP ME THE VOICES… THE VOICES… the voices… THERE SPEAKING TO ME THEY WONT STOP TALKING ABOUT WHEN THE FIRST CORNISH BAKERY OPENED UP IN 1887 OH DEAR GOD NOT ANOTHER FACT ABOUT CORNWALL

• x4740N@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I can’t figure out what half of that says and want a translation

• edinbruh@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Being lesbo sucks. I tell a girl that she’s banging and you get “coming from you 👸🏼”. Literally no, I’m not saying that to be your pal, I’m saying it to shag you…

Or something, I’m not Scottish

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I can barely understand the gist of what you wrote. I’m genuinely curious how English did this… I assume from mixing with Celtic/gaelic languages?

• PhobosAnomaly@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

No idea. The Doric branch of Scots is something else, it’s wild. Even if two people local to a particular area from thirty or forty miles away are gabbin awa to each other, I can just about follow the thread of the conversation but I couldn’t pick out every single word.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

I don’t think anything in @edinbruh@feddit.it’s comment is particularly Celtic/Gaelic-inspired.

Banging is slang for hot. Pal means friend. Shag means have sex with. They’re all fairly common slang in the English language even outside of Scotland. Mostly in England, but elsewhere in the Commonwealth most people would be familiar with the terms, even if it wouldn’t be the first slang term they themselves would use.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

Ah sorry. I misread and thought you were replying to the parent comment of that comment.

Anyway, I’ll admit I’m struggling with that one too. My best take:

Maybes naw: I think this is literally “maybe no”, possibly used equivalently to the Aussie “nah yeah” (meaning “yes”)?

ye ken: you know

fit like: quite hot

spot on: exactly

min: ???

But I don’t really see how they fit together.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  6 months ago

You’re almost there - “fit like” is an expression particularly unique to the north east of Scotland, and it’s super versatile. On it’s own, it’ll mean “what’s happening” or “how’s it going?” - then it can be used in various contexts like “fit like i day” as in “how are you today?”, or in this case “you ken fit like”, “you know how it is” or “you know the score”.

“Maybes naw” is pretty much spot on though, unless used in the context “maybes aye, maybes naw” where it’s less of an unsure expression, and more of a deliberate evasion of the question.

e: “min” is just a local substitute for “man”, as in “hey man” (“alright min”) or “nice job, man” (“quality, min”)

• lad@programming.dev
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

It seems to me that “fit like” means “kinda correct”

Beats me to “min”, though

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Do Scottish people use “fit” like that? I know it’s used in England, particularly the north, but I don’t think I’ve seen it from Scotland. Probably says more about how much exposure I’ve had to Scottish culture though.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Yes and no - it can be used to express someone finding another attractive, but in certain parts (particularly the NE) it’s more of a nuanced “what”, with it’s specific meaning depending on context.

Language is wild.

• ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

she’s banging

“coming from you 👸🏼”

Can someone explain why anyone would reply like that? I am not a native English speaker. I could understand “coming [to answer the door] for you, queen” but not anything “from you”.

• eels@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

It’s short for something along the lines of „that statement means a lot coming from you, as you are also very attractive“

• GelatinGeorge@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Not quite: it means “yeah, but you’re a girl so you would say that to be my friend”. Source: I’m terminally Glaswegian

• unhappy_grapefruit 2@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

excellent or impressive. “a beautiful celebrity with a banging bod”

Scran is slang used to describe food,leftovers etc

So I might say m8. For an example that’s some banging scran you made m8

• HowManyNimons@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Looks like you’re getting a lot of interpretations. I’d have thought it was more like: “Because you’re a lesbian and have particular appreciation for female attractiveness, your comment has made me feel like a princess!”