• kometes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Ugh. Where did 660 feet come from? Where did 66 feet come from? A line of potatoes (linear) to measure an acre (area)? A strip of land 43,560 x 1 ft is an acre requiring 87k+ potatoes.

Also, 18 homes wont fit on an acre.

This graphic is fucking awful.

• criitz@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

An acre is not just a unit of area measurement but has a traditional shape or aspect ratio per acre, based on the land plots it was used for.

1 acre is traditionally 60 ft x 660 ft, also known as 1 chain by 1 furlong.

It’s similar to if you said you could lay X potatoes across a football field. Yes a football field is an area but it also has a defined length.

• Glowstick@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I’m no expert but i believe that’s not how the term is used today. Like if a house is advertised as coming on a quarter acre of land, that says absolutely nothing about the dimensions of that land

• antlion@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

660 feet is a furlong, which comes from one furrow length. It’s the distance two oxen can pull a plow (creating a furrow), without stopping to rest. Then the oxen and person standing atop the plow could have a little rest before turning around to plow the next furrow. Not sure how many furrows but if you repeat this process all day, you’ll have plowed an acre. Potatoes did not exist to farmers when this land measurement was in use. But 66 x 660 is the original definition of an acre, and the only reasonable explanation for why we have 43,560

In California we measure water in Acre Feet. I guess if you know how many acres you have, and how many inches of water your crops need, I guess you’ll know how many acre feet you need.

• Slatlun@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

It is a chain (66ft) and 10 chains 660ft. They are historically important units for land surveying (and relevant today because of that). The measurement is nonsense, but the graph makes sense because an acre can be defined as 1 chain by 10 chains or 66ftx660ft=4356sqft

• Sagifurius@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

These numbers all come from people who preferred 12 and 60 as their working base numbers, not 10. A lot of it becomes really elegant once you understand that.

• Thrashy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

You can divide 2400 square feet into an acre 18 times, but yeah… like, in most metros, even the kind of small detached single-family home you’d find in a inner-ring suburb is going to sit on a 5,000-8,000 square foot lot. Typical suburban lot sizes are more like a 1/4 acre.

This isn’t to say that a McMansion on a quarter acre of land is a good thing, but just as a point of reference, if you’re imagining a neighborhood of 15 to 20 homes and somebody tells you “that’s about an acre” you’re going to be off by an order of magnitude.

• Thrashy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

My 750sf circa-1960 starter home in a turn-of-century streetcar suburb sits on a 7,500sf lot, and that’s relatively small for the area. You’d have to be talking about urban rowhouses as seen in East Coast cities to approach anything like a 2500sf lot size for a single family home.

• jak@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

18*2,400=43,200, so they’d fit, but not nicely. It also doesn’t take external wall width into account, but that’s 20 extra feet per house for the outside walls.

That said, at least in my area, most of the houses in that size range are two story, so who knows what the footprint would be. Agreed, unhelpful metric.

• S_204@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The average American home is 2400 sqft?

I live in a home that size… any time someone comes over they mention how big the house is. It feels huge, we moved from 985 sqft and a year later it still feels enormous. To think this is the average is a mind fuck LoL.

Where’s that stat from? Is that legit?

• skyspydude1@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Homes here tend to be about that size unless they’re older than about 1980. We also have a lot of absolutely massive mansions built out in the middle of absolutely nowhere that’ll drive that number up quite a bit. If you’re willing to drive 30 minutes to the grocery, you can get a 5000+sqft house for well under $500k. I have a buddy who just bought a 5200sqft place on 8 acres for about $450k. If you really want to live somewhere undesirable like the place my parents moved to a few years ago, their whole subdivision has a few dozen houses all over 7000sqft, and they sold for about $400k

• TheIllustrativeMan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Probably being driven up by the huge number of McMansions in the US, plus most of the ‘smaller’ places are apartments/condos, so wouldn’t be counted.

• S_204@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I sincerely wouldn’t want that much space to maintain. We’re a family of 4 with multiple pets and we’ve got rooms we don’t go into. If we had twice the space to clean or heat I’d have no use for them at all. I’ve already got a home gym, 2 home offices, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, den that’s a library and a living room we don’t even furnish so the kids can use it as a gymnasium. I don’t even want this much space LoL. Too expensive to furnish. What’s the point.

• bitwolf@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I am more amazed they fit 18 of them on one acre.

Really shines a light on to how we could have plenty of housing for everyone if we didn’t expect back yards.

• Justas🇱🇹@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Meanwhile, Europeans use hectares. Or a hundred ares. An are is 100 square metres, so a hectare is 100*100 or 10000 square metres or 1/100 of a square kilometer.

• doingless@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I live in a neighborhood that is all half acre lots. So an acre is two properties on my street. Easy!

• Wogi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I have a 3/4 acre lot. So it’s like my yard and the part of my neighbor’s yard I can see. Easy

• IDontHavePantsOn@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Mine is divided by street frontage due to natural environmental features, but I know how to round numbers, so I have 0.7 acres, and that means I can round to 3/4 acres.

How to increase property value in 2 easy steps.

• Dem Bosain@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

The acre was defined officially as being 1 furlong (40 poles = 660 feet) in length, and 4 poles (66 feet) in breadth.

From the source of the problem.

Whip out your furlongs and poles. Bring some rods and chains, just in case.

• Agent641@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I can visualize an acre really well.where I grew up, houses were standard on 1/4 acre blocks so it was just my house and my 3 neighbours houses.

Hectares though, these are the devils unit of area and Ill have no part in them!

• platypus_plumba@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I thought acre was English for the Spanish word “hectárea”. I guess I was wrong. Anyways, my mind always goes blank when people use these units. I can only understand once I hear squared meters or kilometers.

Edit: dude, an hectare is just 10k squared meters. Chef’s kiss. Meanwhile an acre is 4 neighboring houses from that Lemmy’s user, or 5000 potatoes spread on a field.

• Sagifurius@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Yknow how hard it is to think in your second language? It’s the same here. I know metric how metric works perfectly well, but I convert to imperial to think, and then convert the answer back to metric for whatever person needed it in metric. I literally have all the conversions memorized but I just can’t think in metric. I say this because of the way you presented 10k square meters. Had to convert to miles to visualize and then was like “oh, a 16th of a mile squared”

• bluewing@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

The real issue is “Do you really need to know or care?” in daily life. The odds are very, very great you don’t unless you are a farmer or surveyor and if you are, you will know.

It’s just like the trope of " 'Muricans" don’t know how long a mile is! Stupid feckers." But it doesn’t matter if you “know” how many inches, feet, rods, or chains there are in a mile for virtually everyone. Any of those other units would not be the best choice for the scale a mile is used for. Just like an astronomer doesn’t use miles or kilometers to measure the distance between stars - the scale of measurement is all wrong. Neither 'Murican or European cares about smaller units that make up miles or kilometers when traveling. Be honest - Do you really think about how many decimeters it is between Berlin and Paris? What you really care about is “How long will it take to get there.” And measuring travel by time is universal.

In any case, all measurement systems are just made up units thought up by some random dude. Use what is appropriate for what you need. If that’s metric, great! If it’s US Customary, awesome! If it’s SI, even better than either of the other two!

• Javi A.@mastodon.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

@bluewing @corsicanguppy well, if you want to run 2km and you have this track that is 200m long, you know how many times you need to run it without even thinking about it. If you want to run 2 miles and you have this track that is 200 yards long, you better have your phone with you to use the calculator

• bluewing@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

You are confusing absolute accuracy and required precision. No one needs to care about exactly how many meters or yards to run a kilometer or mile on a track. It’s about how many laps. If you are running a mile on a 200 yard track you know you will run 9 laps. And with only very minor exceptions, outdoor tracks in the US are 440 yards or 1/4 mile. So you know you will run 4 laps to get a mile. Or any even fraction of a mile. So there is no need to even know how long the track is and even less thinking about how far to run than you do.

And if you are into cross country running, the odds are great these days you are wearing a smart watch that will tell you when you’ve run that mile or kilometer.

• Javi A.@mastodon.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

@bluewing oh yeah I’m sure not anyone in the US knows how many miles they run when they run on a track, and I’m sure they just count the laps. I would do the same if I had grown up in a place that uses yards and miles 😁

• platypus_plumba@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Yeha, I was just saying that it is pretty easy to estimate if you know how long is a meter. You don’t need to do constant conversions between “this is 12 of this and that is 13.4 of those, and then multiply that by 24”.

Literally if you know how long a meter is, and someone tells you that an hectare is 10K meters squared, you know that it looks something like 100m x 100m. You know how long a meter is, now you know what an hectare looks like.

It’s just the ease of conversion of metric.

• wieson@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

A Hectare is just 100m X 100m. So about two football pitches next to each other.

(A metre is about the same as a yard).

• olafurp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

It’s 4046m2 or 63m per side.

A bit bigger than 1/2 standard football pitch, (soccer field) - 7120m2 A bit smaller than American football field - 5350m2

I think the parking lot is pretty accurate when you think of a big parking, for example at IKEA.

• TheWoozy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I’m pretty sure an acre was originally defined as the area of land that a medieval peasant could plow in one day.

There. I’m glad that’s all cleared up.

• prime_number_314159@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

For those of us that regularly plow large tracts of land using manual tools, this is an extremely useful unit. Anyways, if that isn’t a usual activity for you, an acre is an area of 10 square chains, or roughly an area 1 mile long and 8 feet wide.

• droans@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

1 mile long and 8 feet wide.

That might be accurate but that’s like the worst way to imagine the area.

You could have just said about 220 feet in each direction.

• Slovene@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

I’ve been milkin’ and plowin’ so long

Even Ezekiel thinks that my mind is gone

Fool!

• HiddenLayer5@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Nah you’d either overestimate because you’re not starving and disfigured from the knights from the neighbouring manor maiming you for fun, or you’d underestimate because no one is whipping you and threatening to kill your children if you don’t meet your quota.

• Bfcht@lemmy.wtf
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Having spent a good part of my life in the countryside, that’s actually helpful

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

The problem with “1% of the forest where Winnie the Poo lived” is that a) nobody really knows how large that forest actually is, and b) that the real forest of those stories is actually called “1000 acre wood”.

• Sagifurius@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

You never heard the term “back 40”? 160 acres is a quarter section. A section is a mile by a mile, 640 acres. 1/640 of a square mile. Roughly 8 feet wide and a mile long.

• The_v@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

43,560 square feet = one acre.

The square root of 43,560 is 208.71 feet

208.71 feet/ 2.5 feet per step for men = 84 steps.

So walk 84 steps then turn a right angle and walk another 84. One acre is the area contained in that square.

• ironeagl@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

8’ x 1 mile works, but the way it would usually be subdivided is to be a 16th section - or 1/4 of 1/4. Like a 16-light window. 2 x 2 furlongs, or a quarter-mile by quarter-mile.

• DaMonsterKnees@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

You reached back to my childhood of irresponsible amounts of television at all hours, and you brought me joy. Thank you!

• Gabe Bell@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

It’s about holds my hands up this wide by holds my hands a little further apart this long, if you picture that being in yards.