• MushuChupacabra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

The sole purpose of being a flat earther is to be a very difficult person to deal with, so the content of their little belief system is irrelevant.

They’re the sovereign citizens of earth science.

• NONE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

For most of them nothing is real, neither the stars nor the planets, and any mention of those things before modern days was planted by the shadow government or something. Some even think the moon is fake too and the sun is some kind of big light bulb in the sky or whatever.

More than believers, they are deniers, of everything.

• CptInsane0@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

My interactions with them point to them not believing those things are real at all, or are not planets, etc.

• MeaanBeaan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The one flat earther i know believes the sun and the moon are just spotlights held up from the ceiling of a giant dome.

• Etterra@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

My favorites are The ones who think that the Earth is kind has kind of a rim around the edge and the moon rolls across that like a ball lol

But I’ve seen plenty of them that are perfectly fine believing that all of the other planets are spheres.

It doesn’t really matter, I always just tell them to lower a GoPro over the edge and let us know what they find down there. I mean if there’s an edge there’s got to be something under it right? Well they better get going, that award-winning documentary isn’t going to make itself.

• communism@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

But I’ve seen plenty of them that are perfectly fine believing that all of the other planets are spheres.

That’s fascinating. Why do they think Earth is Not Like The Other Planets?

• spittingimage@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Having worked with several conspiracy theorists I can tell you with confidence that the reasons are always a disappointment.

• Mangoholic@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

The flat earth conspiracy is just made to make money of dumb people. There is nothing more to it and what ever they believe doesn’t matter.

• dubyakay@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Where’s the money to be made? Or are they just easily identifiable targets for sale of essential oils, healing crystals and chiropractor gift cards?

• Mangoholic@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Yeah they pay for these conventions, flat earth merch, flat earth messuring tools, maps and a bunch of other crap.

• ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Damn we need a new conspiracy so I can get in on the ground floor and make some cash!

Uhhh, quick everyone, buy these little talismans, they’ll protect you from… uhh… Jews? And liberals, yeah. Yeah $200 for the low strength, two for $400 special deal this month only, or you can get the super secret one that also wards off cops for $500. Cash in advance no refunds.

• Nurgus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I think you’ll find that flat earthers from all around the globe are in total agreement.

• BruceTwarzen@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Flat earthers are just nutjobs that don’t even agree with each other. There us no point to investigate them.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I think a significant portion of them are taking the piss out of the true believers.

Like out of 100 of them, there are 10 that actually believe, and 90 that are just fucking with them.

• Tony N@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Maybe none of them are true believers and they’re all just fucking with us.

• davidgro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

That’s my stance. Best part is, they can never prove to me that they actually believe, I can just outright deny the same way they do about everything.

• CrabAndBroom@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’m definitely not a Flat Earther, but I watched a documentary about them and a lot of them seem to think the Earth is flat and the sky is like a glass dome, and the other stars and planets are presumably just projected onto the dome somehow? Kind of like this: https://metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/flat-earth-1.jpg

As for what’s beyond the dome or why nobody’s ever encountered the edge of it, I honestly couldn’t tell you lol.

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I used to work with a flat earther and this is the description he gave. He was raised Christian and attended a Christian college, so I guess he was never taught much science.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I don’t think flat-earthers are capable of indulging in concepts like other planets. They’re entire personalities are completely dedicated to indulging in their silly “theories” and insisting that it’s important.

For example, have you ever asked a flat earther what possible incentive could there be for “the government” to lie about the shape of the Earth? The only answer they’ve ever given me is “control”, then they get very smug as if this someone proved something and won’t really discuss it any further. I don’t think they’re capable of imagining anything beyond that.

• NONE@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I can’t imagine how the shape of our planet can be used to control us. I mean, if the earth was neither round nor flat, but… I don’t know, toroidal. How would that affect our behavior?

Is non-Euclidean geometry more likely to make the population docile?

And why not use the flat earth as a form of control? Since that vision is much more limited than the traditional one, since there is no space, no gravity, no planets, no stars and no cosmos. Just what you can see and nothing more.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The closest thing to an explanation I’ve ever gotten was “it’s about control of information maaaaaan!!! Wake up and stop listening to the LIES!”

I chose to end the conversation at that point

• barsquid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Aren’t all of those just fake images the government displays on the dome LCD covering the world inside ice walls? If they were real they would have dropped out of the sky already.

• finley@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

As I’ve heard it, they believe that other planets are around because they can be observed. Any observation of the earth being round is a lie.

These people are crazy

• CosmicTurtle0@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Uses telescope to observe Mars

Yup, that’s round.

Is taken up into space to look down at the round Earth

No, it’s still flat. The windows are curved to make it look round.

Is taken to Mars with the same telescope and it’s pointed at Earth

The glass on the telescope is round, which makes the Earth look round.