• Illuminostro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

I don’t get it. Musk could have died Tony Stark if he’d just kept his mouth shut. But according to his trans daughter, he’s such an emotionally stunted, overgrown 15 year old, narcissistic asshole who needs constant narcissistic supply, he can’t help himself. He’ll eventually get Xcrement banned from multiple countries, and have his lawsuits dismissed. What an asshole.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

That’s why the pedophile tweet in 2018 so thoroughly shattered the illusion for me. It wasn’t just incredibly petty, it was also easily avoidable. Like not only did he reveal who he was, it was easy to see how he could have been that person all along and the world could have never known about it if he just knew when to swallow his pride. And “the cave is too tight and twisty for your submarine to fit, even if you could develop and confirm its safety in time to save the kids, when we can just get them out without that tech” was such a dumb moment to decide to be petty.

I don’t have much of a mind for PR stuff but it was even obvious to me that he could have still walked away looking great if he had financed some catering for the rescue team and families. Just show he was comfortable with sharing the spotlight and having an idea that was made in good faith shot down.

But nooooo, he had to be the saviour and since he couldn’t do that, he needed to turn the one that hurt his feelings into a villain. With a comment that caught anyone who goes to Thailand for non-child sex tourist reasons in the blast radius (and maybe even told on himself a bit?).

And then he’s just been spiraling since, at least as far as public image goes.

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

It was about one day before that for me. I was like

oh that’s so cool, he’s got amazing engineers working to repurpose a pressure vessel from SpaceX to act as a rescue pod to save those kids.

Then actual cave divers were like:

any cave diver will tell you that this will never work

What kind of cave diving rescue plan doesn’t talk to any cave divers before drawing any attention to itself? The kind designed solely to draw attention and stroke ego. He tried to make those boys’ struggles about himself because he thinks he’s the most capable man alive.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

Yeah, that all played into the dynamic, though I didn’t catch that aspect until after his tantrum.

My guess is that he’s a shitty boss that is quick to punish mistakes and ideas that seem good early on but turn out to be bad after more attention was given to them or an attempt was made. So getting shot down became more than just about the sub, I’d bet part of it was not wanting to deserve a chewing out he’s given many times so he tried to make it about something else.

• phoenixz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

asshole

Also a sad little loser.

He has a lot of money, but he has nothing. He has nobody with him who actually loves him for who he really is, it’s sad, really. I know a few guys like him (just way less rich) IRL, they are just the saddest bunch to see. They are so insecure and dickish that they always need more money so that they can use it to control other people into staying close, it’s the only way they can pretend that they are loved.

• ngwoo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

Despite having more money than god, he had “lovable dork” energy. I can’t imagine squandering that. I would have just kept my mouth shut and only opened it when I wanted to talk about whatever new cool thing I decided to have built.

• Illuminostro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

Well, that’s the thing: he’s never built shit. He buys existing companies that do. Then forces them to credit himself as a founder. Musk’s only skill is manipulating stock prices. That’s it.

• mhague@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

I wonder why the richest man in the world says he’s about free speech. He lives in a country that considers money to be speech. He has the most speech of anyone, but that’s not it surely.

• Red_October@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

He says he’s about free speech because he agreed with the kinds of speech that get excluded from civil discussion. He considered people getting shunned for racist opinions to be censorship, while he considers terminating the accounts of anyone who disagrees with him to be his prerogative and perfectly fair.

Elon Musk has never actually stood for “Free Speech,” only for the speech he likes. He SAYS he likes free speech purely because it has better optics for him and worse optics for his opposition than “Let me say racist things.”

• kd45@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 days ago

Who still gives a shit about that dumb little website, just ignore it and maybe it will go away

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 days ago

It’s the sort of thing I might do if I were so rich that I could burn tens of billions of dollars to run a major corporation just for fun. I mean, saying “get lost” to the government of a country of over 200 million people must be quite a rush.

• modifier@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 days ago

I get what you’re saying. People seem to view your comment as an endorsement of Musk, which it clearly isn’t. But if I had Musk money, I would love to tell a government to fuck off, because there are plenty of righteous reasons to do so, as opposed to just stroking your ego as Musk is doing.

• Delphia@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            14 days ago

I know a guy who is quite rich.

Doesn’t much care about speed limits because every time he loses his licence for 3 months he fucks off to another country for a while while he can’t legally drive here.

Its kind of funny.

• aStonedSanta@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              14 days ago

Exactly why fines should be proportional to your wealth/wages rather than a random fee that hurts the middle class and poor immensely.

• Delphia@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                13 days ago

Yeah, I do agree on this in general.

Just cause this guy is a good dude for a rich guy doesn’t mean the system doesn’t suck.

• finitebanjo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            13 days ago

TBH if I had money I’d be minding my own business and using it to improve lives, but I understand the fantasy. Like playing Saints Row II, its fun but I wouldnt actually get in a car and hold somebody at gunpoint in real life.

• chunkystyles@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 days ago

See… That’s the thing. I don’t think he is having fun.

Think about it. The man has more money than he could ever spend. But he’s so deeply insecure he is compelled to stay involved in these petty piss matches. And it infuriates him when people didn’t treat him like Earth’s special boy. He could be doing anything else.

I think he’s a terribly unhappy person.

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            14 days ago

You make a good point. He does seem to get genuinely upset relatively often rather than just laughing as he trolls the world.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          13 days ago

but he does seem to be having a lot of fun.

With all the money he has and all the things he could be doing, he chooses to be glued to twitter. No, he doesn’t seem to be having fun. Not in the slightest. MySpace Tom is what having fun looks like. Musk is what trying desperately to look like you are having fun looks like.

• Emmie@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    14 days ago

I am currently helping to develop a platform that aims to catch Brazilians evading the ban, hopefully it will help enforcing the law.

• rhacer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      14 days ago

The best thing you could possibly do is have children report on their parents for evading the ban. Or I suppose have neighbors report on each other.

It was really effective for the Stasi and the KGB.

• rhacer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          14 days ago

I’m unsure why you would draw that conclusion. I don’t know enough about Elon Musk to be either a fan of the man or a detractor of the man, but it is quite possible that he and I have views that intersect from time-to-time. Just as I’m guessing you and I may have views that intersect from time-to-time.

I’m also old enough to remember the Stasi and the KGB. So if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, I’m gonna call it a duck, and your project, if it really exists and wasn’t you just blowing smoke, is exactly the kind of project those two organizations would have signed on for. Neither one of them wanted the citizens behind their Iron Curtain learning about things that were not State approved. So they actively suppressed those things and those who shared them, (cf. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, of whom you may have heard. If not, I encourage you to look him up).

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 days ago

I am currently helping to develop a platform that aims to catch

Ooh child abusers?! Terrorists?!

Brazilians using a website

Oh

Know you’re probably joking

• kerrypacker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 days ago

Good, fuck censorship. If you don’t stick up for those you disagree with one day they’ll be censoring you.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

Yeah, if twitter was run by a principled individual who actually was a free speech absolutist, I would be siding twitter. If twitter was anything other then an advertising platform, I would be siding with twitter. If twitter wasn’t censoring news orgs that criticized Musk, I would be siding with twitter.

• Nuke_the_whales@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

My country has hate speech laws and 99.9% of us aren’t concerned or yelling “censorship!”, because 99.9% of us aren’t running around saying hateful shit that would get us arrested for hate speech. Only a racist is worried about being cancelled for racism, only a bigot is concerned about hate speech laws.

• finitebanjo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

I don’t think that works as a blanket statement, for example Australia has a law allowing takedowns for hate speech but it was recently used to censor a journalist who shared a video of an Isreal leader saying from the “river to the sea”.

But in general, yes, censor hate and uphold journalistic integrity and freedom of the press in equal measures.

• Nuke_the_whales@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          13 days ago

I get that and agree. Biggest issue these days is, what is a journalist? There’s a half a billion YouTubers who call themselves journalists and do nothing more than Google things. We’ve seen fascists and bigots his behind the press badge, but I do agree that journalists are the last people those laws should be used on.

I believe in Canada it’s mostly used as a threat against bigots but rarely anyone goes down for it unless they’re being blatant and relentless. I remember we had this tabloid pamphlet you’d see at news stands and the cover was always badly photoshopped anti Semitic, anti Muslim, anti immigrant shit that looked like an acid trip. The guy who ran it was cited for hate speech but while investigating him, authorities found other shit he was up to.

Found one of their covers!

• kerrypacker@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            13 days ago

That’s hilariously bad and a good case for letting these idiots speak freely and draw attention to themselves.

• darki@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

This comes from a Elon-drone like you, that ignores Musk banning people who make a joke about him or post where his plane took off to…

• Ibaudia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

No, this is free speech absolutism. You can’t say anything you want on any forum and expect zero consequences. That’s ridiculous.

• Omega_Jimes@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 days ago

I mean, yes in theory, but it’s also a social contract. We shouldn’t allow people who advocate for violence or harm against other people.

There should be no censorship in theory. In theory, communism works. In theory.

• explodicle@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

At this point you can basically just search for the word “disagree” and it’s 99% intellectual dishonesty.