This case is quite similar with Disney+ case.

You press ‘Agree’, you lost the right to sue the company.

• Soup@lemmy.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 hours ago

Well, I won’t be using Uber any more. Right alongside anything produced by Disney.

Fuck both of them.

• PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 hour ago

Woman died because an employee at a Disney resort served her food with peanuts in it. Her widower tried to sue, because the woman had confirmed with the server that there would be no nuts, and the server assured them there wouldn’t be. So someone on the restaurant’s side fucked up. Pretty open and shut case of negligence.

Disney’s lawyers tried to get the lawsuit dismissed, by saying that the husband had agreed to binding arbitration in the Terms of Service when he signed up for a free two week Disney+ trial on his Xbox several years prior. He never actually paid for a subscription, and cancelled after the free trial. But Disney was saying that the binding arbitration clause was still in effect in perpetuity, even after the trial ended and he cancelled the service.

Disney quickly reversed course (and “allowed” the man to sue them) once they realized it was making headlines, because they didn’t want to deal with the bad PR. But if it hadn’t made headlines, Disney’s lawyers likely would have continued pushing for dismissal.

• GeneralEmergency@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        34 minutes ago

Disney’s lawyers tried to get the lawsuit dismissed

I get we hate Disney but spreading misinformation is never cool.

1. It was a move to move it to arbitration not to dismiss the lawsuit.

2. Disney has no ownership stake in the restaurant, so any suit mentioning them is a pointless endeavour put forth by a money grubbing lawyer profiting from a family’s grief.

• Malek061@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 minutes ago

So disney has no control or agency over any of its restraunts or third party vendors it overseas, controls, places guidelines on, issues quality control specifitions, and can remove at any moment?

• BadlyTimedLuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    13 hours ago

Ok I think this should finally bring to light how TOS should not be enforceable contracts. As

1- its common knowledge that the average person does not read TOS. Therefore, it should be unreasonable to expect the average consumer to have completely understood what they have agreed to, without any legal representation to clarify the contract

2 - TOS are written like legal jargin straight from the legal department. Unfortunately, the client base is either 10 year olds lying about their age, 80 year olds who barely understand what a TOS is, and the average consumer who was never presented with a contract, just a simple “Accept or Decline”

3 - If TOS is meant to be as enforceable as it is, then we need a new set of data laws / seperate justice system to actually regulate those TOS. From what I understand, real life laws still apply to contracts where both parties consented. Aka, even if you agreed to kill someone who wanted to die, murder is illegal.

I hope we can bring some real change instead of letting this go to the side too. I was hoping the Disney thing would be bigger than it was, but then again who’s taking Disney to court and surviving? It’s sad to think they can get away with this, and its sadder to know we’re less valuable than the data we produce.

• PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      48 minutes ago

I actually loved how Larian wrote the ToS for Baldurs Gate 3. It’s written as if it is a warlock pact.

It’s the first time I have actually read a ToS in years.

• blubfisch
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

Fun fact: in Germany, anything “unexpected” they write in TOS is not legally binding, because everyone knows noone reads it.

• DillyDaily@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

Heck half the time my screen reading software glitches out on ToS pages, so I just have to assume I’m selling my soul but hopefully not much else and click accept because it’s not like I’m going to find someone to sit and read it out to me, that would take hours!

And yet for every other contract I have ever signed in my entire life, I have a legal right to ask for it in an accessible form before I sign it. As a visually impaired person, uber is present in my life.

I hated it, it was the most inaccessible app for such a purpose, and the drivers really did not understand I can’t see what they see. I like just calling the depot, talking to a human, and booking a cab… But you can’t do that now either because when you call you wait on hold for 20 minutes while the automated message tells you about the taxi app.

So now unfortunately, uber is easier to book than a taxi, I don’t know if the ToS in the taxi app has any harmful stuff about arbitration because again, I’ve never been able to get a screen reader to read out the ToS properly on any app!

I feel like such a boomer, but I am really feeling more and more isolated as every service Abdi connection I’ve built my life around is moving online into a digital visual space faster than the affordable assustive technology can keep up with.

I’m expected to read something on a screen when I physically can not, uber and similar apps, including the app my local state government brought in during covid that now holds much only transit ID to show transit staff I’m blind (to get l transport assistance at train stations) all do this.

Once you open the wallet section of the app, for fraud prevention they disabled third party screen readers from reading anything on the app.

I have to open my app, then ask the other person to look through my wallet for me to find the card because I can’t, it’s such a privacy violation.

• ADTJ@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

Companies really don’t put much effort into making these readable or accessible.

Many websites I’ve used it’s even a broken link, there’s nothing to read but I’m expected to agree anyway.

The terms are usually extremely long and repetitive, they’re not designed to be actually read by people.

• bokster@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

Well, that’s common law for you.

Most of the world has continental law where most of these things would be written in a law somewhere and unenforceable through TOS as those provisions would be deemed in conflict with the law and therefore void.

• Mwa@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

I don’t think we are ordering Uber taxis anymore

• outrageousmatter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 hours ago

I hope the state supreme court allows them to keep their right to a jury trial. It clearly states in our 7th amendment it is preserved for any case above $20 and that it will always be upheld. There is no alternative in the wording, it is so clearly written and if it is ignored I want to see all the judges bank account and donations because the constitution for jury trials are clearly written and cannot be told in any other way.

• dubious@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

the problem here is obviously corporations running the world. the solution is obviously terrorizing them into submission. the government ain’t gonna save you.

• wanderingmagus@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 hours ago

You best start believing in ghost stories cyberpunk dystopias. You’re in one! - cyborg Captain Barbossa

• Zementid@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

Yes. This is what I always tell people: “We don’t get StarTrek, we get Blade Runner”

• vaxhax@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 hours ago

You and I have probably been telling people that for quite some time now, by now it should start to become plainly obvious to anyone who looks.

• phorq@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      Español
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 hours ago

“How many times do we have to teach you this lesson, old man!?”

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Disney may have abandoned this strategy with their wrongful death suit, but they pioneered it for other shitty companies. Great. This is reality now.

• ZMonster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 hours ago

I realize that there is no way for me to argue this without sounding like some sort of neck beard corporate shill; but if you truly believe that the Disney+ debacle was at a basic level - Evil corporation uses despicable loophole to leave innocent widower stuck with the consequences of corporate negligence - then you really don’t know anything about that case at all, and singing in harmony with the endless voices parroting the same misinformation is not something you should be proud of.

Fuck Disney, all day, every day, forever. No doubt. But they tried to use a tactic that was EVERY BIT as disgusting as the one that roped them into the lawsuit to begin with. It is extraordinarily likely that Disney was going to be released from that suit but after the PR spin, they decided to throw the guy a bone just to save face. We don’t have to agree that Disney was somehow being magnanimous, but they chose to take one on the chin that apparently only they and Legal Eagle knew they would get out of.

I don’t have a problem with people spitting at Disney, but at least do it for a truthful and reliable reason.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

I clicked through to see your reply explaining further, but this reply sucked. You didn’t explain shit in it.

• WaxedWookie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 hours ago

For sure benefit of those that haven’t seen the LegalEagle video, why was Disney likely to be released from the suit?

• ZMonster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 hours ago

The reason why literally any motion to dismiss would have likely been successful on the merits is because the only way, literally the one and only way the plaintiff was able to include disney in the lawsuit is because disney owns the land that was leased to the completely separate and not-affiliated-in-any-way-to-disney Irish Pub restaurant. The plaintiff argued that because there were pictures of disney owned lands for lease on their site and some of those pictures showed current lessees, ie some included the Irish Pub restaurant, he argued that they were also liable.

But if the connection to Disney was so remote and tenuous, why include them at all? Simple. Why sue a poorly managed restaurant that will likely collapse under the fairest fiduciary breeze leaving very little remuneration for you, when Disney’s pockets are vastly deeper? Now, again, fuck disney forever, so I could care less that someone tried to take a bite out of disney in an unscrupulous way. But if you’re going to do some shady shit to a corporation known for shady shit doings in an economy that encourages the most shady shit under a system that cultivates new ways of doing shit more shadily, then you have to expect them to fight less than fair.

I don’t want to speak ill of the dead, so I’ll assume that the deceased had no idea what was happening and instead speak ill of the living - in this case, her complete, utter, totally useless fucking husband. A moron of the highest degree who took his anaphalactically compromised partner with a known and fatal sensitivity to nuts… TO AN IRISH FUCKING PUB RESTAURANT!!! After the restaurant had demonstrated multiple times that things were not in order, they continued to dine. Assuming that these things (none of these as of a week ago at least have been denied by the plaintiff) are true, I honestly think the guy should be investigated for manslaughter.

So, you can understand why seeing people cry alligator tears over the poor innocent village idiot whose incompetence has now cost someone their life is pretty fucking sad to see. I mean, the constant and incessant misplaced vitriol toward Disney while they prepare to settle with a guy they owe nothing to is kind of making disney out to be the good guy - and that is the true travesty IMO.

• PriorityMotif@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 hours ago

Disney is obviously just obfuscating their liability by running the restaurant as a separate entity. The restaurant can’t operate without following Disney’s rules. By all intents and purposes the restaurant is controlled by Disney and Disney either knew or should have known that the restaurant was putting people at risk.

• PriorityMotif@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 hours ago

Show me the lease agreement that says I’m wrong. I guarantee it’s much different than a standard commercial lease with more stringent requirements. If Disney is making specific requirements then they have a duty to enforce them.

• ZMonster@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  15 minutes ago

I appreciate your concerns, but truly: I owe you nothing. It takes very little integrity to make an uninformed allegation and then sit back with a smug look and a mug full of selfrighteousness decrying “prove me wrong”.

Why don’t you prove Legal Eagle wrong? It would without a doubt be more fruitful because I’m not entertaining it.

• WaxedWookie@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 hours ago

Thanks for taking the time to write that up!

That all makes sense - though unless there’s info in missing, I’d argue the woman should have been responsible for managing her own allergies rather than her husband, but that’s beside the point, and I understand your position on speaking ill of the dead.

Whatever the case, it does certainly seem like the truth was steamrolled by a good story - though I do think the waiver arguments underpinning that side of the case will wind up getting pressure tested in pretty short order.

Thanks again.

• ZMonster@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              2 hours ago

I don’t disagree, but I believe there was a communication barrier for her. I could be wrong and don’t remember right now, but I believe she did not know English.

though I do think the waiver arguments underpinning that side of the case will wind up getting pressure tested in pretty short order.

Possibly. Disney withdrew their motion after the PR hit them, and are likely negotiating a settlement. But other cases may change the way arbitration agreements and contract law are handled.

ALSO

I just walzed past your appreciation and I should have acknowledged it. I am neurodivergent and can be abrasive and I try to be relatable but sometimes miss the mark.

And I work in an extremely remote location with thousands of employees and they are nearly all conservatives, which is fine. But the most insincere of them still thinks “Alex Jones was right” about some things. Everyone is a trumper. So there is a degree of rejection of reality and uninformed conjecture in everyone that I know. So being honest, truthful, and humble are so important to me. I hear all day every day about The LEFT™ . So I think it behooves people that conservatives would call leftist to make sure they are not spreading their own version of misinformation.

• Juice@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

I used to wonder what happened to kids who would always change the rules in the middle of a game like, “nuh uh nuh uh I have a shield around my whole body that blocks lasers,” so that they never ever lose. I thought they just grew out of it but now I realize they all became corporate lawyers for tech companies

• skittle07crusher@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 hours ago

Just learned this is Usha Vance, I think? Would explain some things… (JD Vance said his wife is a “corporate litigator” or something like that, in the recent US Vice Presidential debate)

• Sylvartas@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 hours ago

Inb4 a few decades down the line “Father blocked from suing Amazon after their death squads gunned down his entire family for sharing his prime video account, say they agreed to Amazon terms”

• dch82@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 hours ago

Inb4 a few decades

a few decades is a long time, I think it will happen in under 2 years

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Human lives have been deemed valueless it seems. Only worth as much as they have already produced and nothing more.

Not by the average person mind you but by every person above that has reduced humanity to numbers and economic performance. Why care when the person can be replaced or the product they make reproduced through automation or cheaper labor elsewhere. People are just the cogs that are worth as much as they are currently valued at and it must be reduced to make those that feel worth more than the rest of us feel even more powerful and necessary.

We have forgotten the worth of human effort and lives not yet lived while some get distracted with hypotheticals of specific people or ones that don’t yet exist.

Fuck this reality. Fuck the reduction of humanity because of the will of those that hate others. We need to deal with now and our idea of what matters.

• WereHacker@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

Only american lives sadly. The rest of us have always been expendable.

I do feel sorry for the american people. It seems you are gonna get the same treatment as the rest of the worlds underdogs now.

Just hope eXXon doesn’t find oil under your house.

• Nuke_the_whales@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Why does the law allow this? Where in from you can write whatever the fuck you want on a contract but it doesn’t make it legal. If the shit in the contract is insane , a court would just refuse to enforce it

• Blueberrydreamer@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 hours ago

Well, that is exactly what happens in the vast majority of cases, and almost certainly what’s going to happen here.

That’s not to undercut how shitty a practice it is, it mostly serves to discourage and dissuade people from trying to sue in the first place.

• phx@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 hours ago

There absolutely needs to be a penalty for even trying bullshit like this. Maybe disbarring whatever lawyer thought it was a remotely good idea will send a message

• ExtremeDullard@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

Forced arbitration is unjust and should be outlawed. It’s only legal in 7 other countries: UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, Saudi Arabia, China and India.

That’s right: 4 countries that are essentially US lapdogs, two dictatorships and one that’s on the fast track towards becoming one.

Also, you can totally see how America is so much better and totally different than China. The more I look at both, the less I can tell the difference.

But at least in the United States, there is hope.