The app is Clime Pro on iOS, they lock full access to Hurricane Milton data behind a $10 USD per week paywall.

If you’re in the area impacted by Milton, you can find publicly available resources at the National Hurricane Center’s website: National Hurricane Center

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

It’s like my Canadian colleagues complaining that they can’t find any info about big weather events on Facebook and I’m like “You realize your taxes pay for info available to all?”

• skuzz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 hours ago

It’s shitfunny because this is a perfect opportunity for apps like this to play into Capitalism and succeed twentyfold.

Open up the app to everyone for free during the hurricane, remove that after hurricane. So many people will go:

• “OMG this app is useful, I’m paying”
    • “OMG that company is so kind, I’m paying”
    • “OMG I didn’t even know about this but people spread the word, I’m paying!”

So many opportunities for longer-term profits missed by idiocy.

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

Ryan Hall is doing a Livestream on YouTube providing all day coverage of the hurricane. Several cameras up in areas that will receive the worst of it. Several meteorologists on staff, radar info and explanation, storm chasers on the ground. Pretty much all of the information you could need. Link

• marine_mustang@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 hours ago

Project 2025 wants to disband NOAA and give its functions to Accuweather instead, directing taxpayer funding to a private company while also locking all weather data behind a paywall, so they get paid twice to provide the same info NOAA currently provides with a single payment (taxpayer funding). The Accuweather founder, Joel Myers, and his brother, Billy Lee Myers (unsuccessfully nominated by Trump to be the head of NOAA), are major Republican donors, but I’m sure that is completely coincidental.

• yesman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

There is nothing more tech-bro libertarian than taking free public data, wrapping it in a slick package, and selling it.

I used to think that TV weather people were obsolete, but now I’m nostalgic for the public service that survived in the old capitalistic ad based broadcast TV era.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

In a hypothetical world where everyone has every comfort available and every need met,

in that world at least,

I could say:

“There is some room for wrapping something in a sleek package!“

(Maybe I’d pay a dollar if someone remade those graphs really beautifully)

• bassomitron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

I only ever check my weather on NWS, but a year or two ago they went from having easily read hourly forecast data to those obnoxious graphs. I have zero clue why they did that.

• Thurstylark@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

To be fair, free broadcast tv and radio is still a thing, and they are an integral part of the US’s disaster alert system. With the right equipment (read: basic cheap radio available almost everywhere), you can still listen to weather information (both general and severe) directly from the horse’s mouth 24/7 for free.

In a disaster situation, these services will still stand because they require less infrastructure per person reached than is required to deliver high-speed internet to the same number of people.

These services still exist, and will continue to, but the knowledge of them has atrophyed from disuse. They won’t go away, they’ve just been replaced in general usage because of the convenience that the internet provides us.

TL;DR: Get you a weather radio, get free weather for the life of the equipment. Even if it’s not your daily driver, get one anyways, because you’ll be able to hear the most relevant info in the worst situation.

• thejml@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

Throwing it out there, but https://www.nhc.noaa.gov is hands down the best hurricane tracking site. It’s low Bandwidth, quick, lightweight, legit data backed, and generally the source data for most other weather sites.

• runjun@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

I came in here to link Ryan Hall. He and the ring of meteorologists, storm chasers, weather enthusiasts do fantastic work.

• abbadon420@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 hours ago

It’s made by “bending spoons operations”, an Italian company.

From app’s the website:

Copyright © Bending Spoons Operations S.p.A. | Via Nino Bonnet 10, 20154, Milan, Italy | VAT, tax code, and number of registration with the Milan Monza Brianza Lodi Company Register 13368510965 | REA number MI 2718456 | Contributed capital €50.000,00

They also make WeTransfer, MeetUp and Evernote

Edit: they only bought these, they didn’t make it.

• skuzz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

We know the best ways to suck, even our storms!

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

You’re not wrong, but they’re gonna have to ditch their iPhone for an Android first, LOL