• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

Rust is more like Esperanto isn’t it? It’s Latin, but regularized and with the rough edges sanded off.

Python is more like Spanish. A billion speakers in the world, and really easy to pick up a few phrases, but a small European minority still think they run it.

• x0x7@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

If you think Rust has zero rough edges you might have drunk too much kool aid.

• geneva_convenience@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Esperanto is just Spanish pretending to be a neutral language.

Honestly a very bad language. Nothing intuitive or easy about it. It’s as well thought out as QWERTY.

• vga@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

PHP is Russian. Used to be huge, caused lots of problems, now slowly dwindling away. Its supporters keep saying how it’s still better than the competition.

• ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

This is highly inaccurate:

D: Esperanto. Highly derivative of C (Latin), designed by people previously writing compilers. It’s not being taken seriously as such.

Russian is nowadays being speaken by right-wing authoritarians instead, and any programmer that is auth-right is either coding in C/C++, or a Javascript/Python dev pretending to be a C/C++ dev to “gatekeep” nulangs (sic).

• Lysergid@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Can anyone actually tell what exactly complicated in Java? Verbose, maybe it was at some point but I find it very straightforward and easy.

• dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

Java itself is kind of blissful in how restricted and straightforward it is.

Java programs, however, tend to be very large and sprawling code-bases built on even bigger mountains of shared libraries. This is a product of the language’s simplicity, the design decisions present in the standard library, and how the Java community chooses to solve problems as a group (e.g. “dependency injection”). This presents a big learning challenge to people encountering Java projects on the job: there’s a huge amount of stuff to take in. Were Java a spoken language it would be as if everyone talked in a highly formal and elaborate prose all the time.

People tend to conflate these two learning tasks (language vs practice), lumping it all together as “Java is complicated.”

$0.02: Java is the only technology stack where I have encountered a logging plugin designed to filter out common libraries in stack traces. The call depth on J2EE architecture is so incredibly deep at times, this is almost essential to make sense of errors in any reasonable amount of time. JavaScript, Python, PHP, Go, Rust, ASP, C++, C#, every other language and framework I have used professionally has had a much shallower call stack by comparison. IMO, this is a direct consequence of the sheer volume of code present in professional Java solutions, and the complexity that Java engineers must learn to handle.

Some articles showing the knock-on effects of this phenomenon:

• frezik@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

Its standard library reads like someone’s Object Oriented Programming 101 final project, and they probably got a B- for it. Everything works and follows OO principles, but they didn’t stop to think about how it’s actually going to be used.

Let’s try to read a file line-by-line:

BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new FileReader("sample.txt"));
      String line = reader.readLine();

We’re having to instantiate two objects (FileReader and then BufferedReader) just to get an object that has a readLine() method. Why? Can’t BufferedReader take a file name on its own and work it out? Or FileReader just provides readLine() itself?

Not only that, but being parsimonious with what we import would result in:

import java.io.BufferedReader;
      import java.io.FileReader;

But we’re much more likely to be lazy and import everything with import java.io.*;. Which is sloppy, but I understand.

I can see what they were thinking when separating these concerns, but it resulted in more complexity than necessary.

There’s a concept of “Huffman Coding” in language design. The term itself comes from data compression, but it can be generalized to mean that things you do often in a programming language should be short and easy. The above is not good Huffman Coding.

• Lysergid@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

Library built this way because it supposed to be flexible and provide ground for complex usecases. It can only be flexible if your API works with simple abstractions which you can then compose. It’s not driven by “I need this specific utility for this specific scenario”. That would be zoo you have in JS where you have 10 ways to iterate over array and 9 of them wrong for your scenario.

Java’s OO is great because they design library with SRP in mind making sure there is few but good ways to do things.

BufferedReader cannot accept file name because it makes arbitrary reader… well buffered. It’s not BufferedFileReader, even that would accept something like Path or File, not string, because File can be remote file, should Reader now know all possible local and remote protocols and path formats? What else it must do?

Having it designed the way it is, allows Java to have utilities for various scenarios. Your scenario covered by standard lib too. See Files.readAllLines which, surprise-surprise, built on top of BufferedReader.

• vzq@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

Library built this way because it supposed to be flexible and provide ground for complex usecases.

It’s definitely that, and not the fact that it was written in the first half of the nineties when everyone and their mother was all in on OOP/OOD to the detriment of usability.

• frezik@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

BufferedReader cannot accept file name because it makes arbitrary reader… well buffered. It’s not BufferedFileReader, even that would accept something like Path or File, not string, because File can be remote file, should Reader now know all possible local and remote protocols and path formats? What else it must do?

You’re just describing the problem. Yes, I see where they’re going with this. It’s still a usability nightmare. I can’t think of another language that makes you jump through hoops like this on IO, and they get along fine without it.

• PlexSheep@infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 day ago

I agree with you. It’s a neat design idea to make things a bit more maintainable perhaps, but it’s just annoying to program with.

• houseofleft@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

I think a lot of it is “ceremony”, so it’s pretty common in java to:

• create a get method for every object variable
      • create a set method for every object variable

Then add on top that you have the increased code of type annotations PLUS the increased code of having to check if a value is null all the time because all types are nullable.

None of that is hugely complicated compared to sone of the concepts in say Rust, but it does lead to a codebase with a lot more lines of code than you’d see in other similar languages.

• houseofleft@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

Before someone says it, I know a lot of this stuff doesn’t need to be done. I’m just giving it as examples for why Java has the rep it does.

• WhyJiffie@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

i still don’t understand. is it easier in python or JS to make getters and setters? with python my experience has been the opposite, with the decorator based solution in mind.
          or if the problem is that they exist, as an option to be used, why is that a problem? they can be implemented in any other language, and it can be useful.

then yeah, you should check for nulls. just like for None’s in python, or if you have the correct type at all, because if it’s entirely different but ends up having a function or variable with the same name then who knows what happens.
          then in javascript besides null, you also have undefined and NaN!

• houseofleft@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 day ago

It’s not easier to do getters or setters but especially in python there’s a big culture of just not having getters or setters and accessing object variables directly. Which makes code bases smaller.

Same with the types (although most languages for instance doesn’t consider None a valid value for an int type) Javascript has sooo many dynamic options, but I don’t see people checking much.

I think it boils down to, java has a lot of ceremony, which is designed to improve stability. I think this makes code bases more complex, and gives it the reputation it has.

• WhyJiffie@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

i still don’t understand. is it easier in python or JS to make getters and setters? with python my experience has been the opposite, with the decorator based solution in mind.
          or if the problem is that they exist, as an option to be used, why is that a problem? they can be implemented in any other language, and it can be useful.

then yeah, you should check for nulls. just like for None’s in python, or if you have the correct type at all, because if it’s entirely different but ends up having a function or variable with the same name then who knows what happens.
          then in javascript besides null, you also have undefined and NaN!

• beveradb@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

Char count for same functionality is still at least double in java vs python. It just feels like a chore to me. jetbrains helped, but still python is just so light

• Lysergid@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 days ago

Char count is poor complexity metric. Perl is better than Python with your logic as it is more condensed.

• bonus_crab@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Rust is esperanto because its only actually used by a small group of nerds,

python is russian because everything made in it is unreliable.

• sexual_tomato@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Python is Spanish; a ton of people learned a bit in school and never picked it back up again. Places that speak it natively all have their own conventions because, even though the native languages were replaced by colonizers, a lot of the native languages patterns remained in place. Most places that speak it are super welcoming and stoked that you’re trying to learn.

• MudMan@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

I think this thread is meant to flatter programmers and make linguists and sociologists extremely angry.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 hours ago

Does Russian have stricter grammar syntax than German? I was a bit puzzled by the comparison made above

• finitebanjo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

IDK, comparing Javascript to English while Java to German seems to either overblow the value of javascript or diminish the value of English.

• lugal@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

How so? Except the first sentence which is obviously not serious, I would agree with all linguistic statements or at least not disagree with any.

• TranscendentalEmpire@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

I think the first sentence is probably enough to make anyone not afflicted with a eurocentric brain want to palm some face.

I think excusing it as a “not serious” statement is dangerous, as a lot of people even on Lemmy won’t second guess it.

The belief that the west is the origin of all science and culture is surprisingly pervasive, especially in the tech industry.

• MudMan@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 days ago

“The root of all modern languages” is a heck of a thing to say about Latin, and I’m pretty sure several billion people haven’t quite gotten that memo. Calling a chunk of Europe and a thin slice of Africa “the entire Universe” is also a spicy take. Come for the programmer humor, recoil in disgust for the rampant ethnocentrism, I guess.

• lugal@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I don’t disagree but I would still give the benefit of a doubt that “the whole universe” is such an exaggeration that it makes the overstatement obvious. But it would also be read as a praise. Overall, I wouldn’t take it all to seriously. Made me laugh but I also see the eurocentrism and it’s good to be aware of it.

• randomname01@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

For one, Latin has more fancy rules than French. I guess the subjunctive is probably something English speakers might consider fancy, but Latin has that too. Latin has more times that are conjugations of the core verb (rather than needing auxiliary verbs), has grammatical cases (like German, but two more if you include vocative) and, idk, also just feels fancier in general.

I’ll admit it’s been years since I actually read any Latin and that I only have a surface level understanding of all languages mentioned except for French, but this post reads like it’s about the stereotypes of the countries rather than being about the languages themselves.

• agamemnonymous@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

Latin has more rules, but they’re more utilitarian than fancy. Latin rules are there to make sure you understand exactly what is being said. French rules are there to make everything elegant and confusing, like high fashion.

• lugal@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

First, I wouldn’t count the vocative but let’s not get into this debate. Counting cases, Russian wins until you include other balto slavic languages or even Uralic ones.

Fancy is a very subjective term. Auxiliary verbs are fancy in their own way. From an orthographical viewpoint, French is quite fancy with all the silent letters, the way vocals are pronounced and stuff. French had like one spelling “reform” and it was like let’s make it more obvious we decent from Latin. Grammar wise it’s just like the other romance languages from what I know. They once got rid of the silent <s> and put a “gravestone” on the letter before (^) that has no other meaning than here was a silent s. Wouldn’t you call that fancy? Who would call it fancy? Mwa Moi!

• randomname01@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

Meh, as a native Dutch speaker auxiliary verbs feel really utilitarian to me, and not particularly fancy - like you said, that’s highly subjective.

As for cases, I didn’t say Latin or German had the most, but just that I think they’re fancy and that Latin has them while French doesn’t.

• lugal@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

So you speak a V2 language like me? I’m German btw. Let me give you an outside perspective on auxiliary verbs in continental western Germanic languages:

The verb comes in second position (hence V2). Using an auxiliary verb moves the content verb to the very end of the sentence. It totally messes with the syntax.

But that’s besides my point. My point wasn’t that French auxiliary verbs are fancy but that fancy can me many things, in French it’s the spelling and pronunciation. Cases aren’t fancy, at least not the German or Latin ones. The slavic cases are a different story, in my objective opinion.

• Dewe@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

Haha I decline your proposal not to get into that debate: the vocative is a grammatical case. Maybe not every noun can be put in the vocative, but it’s definitely one of the cases. Even the locative is a case, even though only a couple of nouns use it.

• lugal@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

To be clear, in general the vocative is a case eg in Czech and other balto slavic languages (except eg standard Russian while colloquial Russian is developing a new unrelated one).

In Latin tho, it’s more a relict. Other cases have relicts, too, still I wouldn’t say Latin has the locative.

I would argue that being a relict is a spectrum. Technically, it is a case with many syncretism to nominative, since it is obligatory for those nouns. In the context of LAtiN hAs sOo0 ManY cAsES, it’s not.

• MudMan@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

I mean, French is vulgar Latin at best. And even if it wasn’t obviously spoken by all sorts of French people, elites or not, it’s also the official language of a bunch of other countries, from Monaco to Niger. “Elites and certain circles” is a very weird read, which I’m guessing is based on US stereotypes on the French? I don’t even think the British would commit to associating the French with elitism.

Russian speakers being “mostly autoritarian left” is also… kind of a lot to assume? I’m not even getting into that one further. I don’t know if the Esperanto one checks out, either. “Esperanto speaker” is the type of group, and this is true, whose wikipedia page doesn’t include statistics but instead just a list of names. Which is hilarious, but maybe not a great Python analogue. It may still be the best pairing there, because to my knowledge English speakers aren’t any worse at speaking English than the speakers of any other language. They are more monolingual, though.

It just all sounds extremely anglocentric to me, which is what it is, I suppose, but it really messes with the joke if you’re joking about languages specifically. One could do better with this concept, I think.

• Wiz@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

About Esperanto, since it’s not a national language (intentionally so) it’s hard to do a census of speakers.

Also, to what level is considered “speaking Esperanto”? Taking the Duolingo course? Having it as a “mother tongue” where both parents speak it in a household in order to communicate? These are both probably countable, and produce wildly different numbers.

• MudMan@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 day ago

I’ll be honest, I don’t think that’s the reason. I also think those numbers may be different but they may both be indistinguishable from zero when plotted against natural languages. You’re right about it being hard to define what counts as a “Esperanto speaker”. I can’t decide if that makes the Python comparison better or worse, though.

• Wiz@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 day ago

Yeah, I do not think Python is a very good comparison.

I was thinking more like Clojure:

1. Enthusiastic and friendly geeks trying to push their language on the world trying to make it a better place. They are both definitely not a little cultish!
              2. Language intended to be simple to learn with a limited and regular vocabulary, but can handle complicated work with ease.
              3. They both say that learning their language will make your mind better able to do other languages.
              4. A bridge between languages. Vanilla Clojure runs on the JVM and can invoke Java commands. But it has also been built on other platforms like JavaScript (ClojureScript), .NET (CLR), Python (Basilisp), BASH (Babashka), and others I think.
              5. The parts of both languages can be broken up, mixed, and matched, and used for other parts. In Esperanto, the fundamental elements can be broken down and made into other words. In Clojure, you’ve got functions and lists - and higher order functions that work on functions and lists, and lists of functions, and functions of lists.
              6. Did I mention: Friendly & welcoming geeks that lo-o-o-ove newbies! Seriously, both Clojure nerds and Esperanto nerds are unnaturally nice and would like to welcome you to the club. They’ve got tons of free resources for you to learn it.

Honestly, I think both are right. Both are simple languages that expand your way of thinking, and are probably both worth learning, if you’re into that sort of thing.

• lugal@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I think the elitism regards of French isn’t about French native speakers but about second language learners. French was the lingua franca in Europe for quite a while and using French loan words makes you sound more fancy and eloquent in many languages (compare “adult” with “grownup” which is a Latin loan word but I can’t think of a real example so I hope no one will notice).

The Russian bit I totally agree. Esperanto vs python is quite a leap, I agree. Showing a list (that’s probably not conclusive but still) is telling when compared to the go to beginners programming language. Still there are parallels in the design and intention. No comparison is ever perfect.

All in all it’s not perfect but as a joke, it works for me. Sure, it’s not unbiased but if not taken too seriously, I can laugh about it, and I can over analyze it for fun so win win for me.

• randomname01@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 day ago

It’s kinda funny, I’m Flemish and a lot of French loan words (ambriage, merci, nondedju = nom de dieu to name a few) are mainly used in dialect, and therefore don’t make you sounds sophisticated or worldly at all.

• lugal@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 day ago

From what I know it’s similar in Swiss German (with words like merci and velo (bike)). I don’t know about Fleming but Swiss embraces their dialects so it isn’t stigmatized either

• randomname01@feddit.nl
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                16 hours ago

Heh, we use velo as well. And yeah, we don’t really stigmatise dialects that much either, though depending on how much dialect you use people might find it unprofessional.

• MudMan@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 days ago

Yeah, but that’s my point. The author clearly isn’t thinking about the hundreds of millions of native French speakers around the world, they’re an American thinking the word “mutton” sounds fancier than “sheep”… in English.

Which yeah, okay, that’s their cultural upbringing causing that, but then maybe don’t make a joke entirely predicated on making sharp observations about how languages work and aimed specifically at nerds. I can only ever go “it’s funny because it’s true” or be extremely judgmental of your incorrect assumptions about how languages work here.

• lugal@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

your incorrect assumptions

Why make it about me? I was more or less playing devil’s advocate, saying if not taken seriously it’s funny.

I would be more likely to agree with you if you put “OP’s assumption”. Your phrasing makes me want to double down on my original position.

That’s just a general recommendation for discussions in general, online and offline. I learned a thing or two about my biases and perspectives here. Btw I’m German and that part resonated with me from my little experience with JAVA and my experience in learning about my native language and teaching it to others.

• MudMan@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 day ago

Oh, sorry, you misunderstood, I didn’t mean you specifically, I mean you as in “why would you ever do this”, as in “why would anybody ever do this”.

Languages, as we’ve established, are complicated.

• nifty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

Is this post sane-washing Russia? What’s left about Russia under Putin? Overall funny, though

• ProgrammingSocks@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

The USSR was bad but it wasn’t communist. For that it would have had to have been stateless and classless, definitionally.

• frezik@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 day ago

I’m not sure it is. Like, yes, it does exist in the Left/Right, Auth/Lib political compass, but that’s just a model. The stance has some inherent contradictions.

And so does Right/Lib, for that matter. “Fiscally conservative/socially liberal” is a nonsense position, and those taking it tend to just be conservative in practice.

• explodicle@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

I thought the political compass was itself just a popular perspective? It’s is a gross oversimplification of the ideas involved. Find me two leftists who even agree on what’s the farthest left.

• frezik@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 day ago

Progressive at first, but then sorta forgot about it.

At the start, women were given rights that suffragists in the UK or USA could only dream of. Then it stopped. By the 1960s, women in the USSR found that they were still expected to do all the same old household chores while also holding a job outside the home. Meanwhile, western feminism had developed a strong second wave, and later a third (arguably more since, but that gets complicated). Those waves dealt with increasingly abstract issues in the patriarchy, including the problem of household chores.

This simply didn’t happen in the USSR. Developing one would have required greater freedom of speech than anyone had in that country.

• Bluetreefrog@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 days ago

Is it was so great, why did most of the conquered nations run west as fast as they could as soon as they could? Must have been because the USSR was so ‘progressive’.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                2 days ago

The Soviet people voted overwhelmingly in favor of retaining the Soviet Union, albiet with reforms, in a referendum that was ignored when the leaders of the USSR’s constituent republics agreed behind closed doors to dissolve the nation.

The referendum (the only one they ever had) with it being in 1991 it was already a much different Soviet Union than we usually think and very late in its life as an effort to somehow keep it together, even though in a pretty different form. The wording makes it so that there was very little reason to oppose it unless you were a hardline independence advocate (so you might not respect their authority anyway or don’t want to give them credibility etc) since independence or no, it was promising more independence, human rights, freedom and so on. And in some countries that was tied to “let’s become independent at the same time but also keep in this new federation or what have you”. So it wasn’t even a “should we keep Soviet Union or not” but rather “should we make the union different, better”, which again, not much reason to oppose it no matter what you thought. Keeping it as it had been was the hardliner approach of keeping the older style Soviet Union and that wasn’t very popular.

And the new treaty was never signed because communist hardliners tried a coup to reverse the course. The attempt backfired horribly and just lead to even swifter dissolution. But I’d say it was already heading towards that anyway with people seeking to break away from Moscow and the whole system in a turmoil over reforms (to some too radical and to some not radical enough). In hindsight it feels like they would’ve needed a miracle to keep it together in any recognizable form.

• Bluetreefrog@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 day ago

Not to mention that the vote was boycotted by Armenia, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Moldova.

They were sooooo keen to return to the Russian embrace (/s).

• SSJMarx@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 days ago

Pretty much everyone post-Stalin fumbled the bag. The fact that the USSR lasted as long as it did once the leadership was essentially asleep at the wheel is a testament to how robust its foundations were.

• chaogomu@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 days ago

Tried a bunch, but tried wrong.

The Lenin model of communism is inherently flawed for one simple reason. An Authoritarian Communism is an Impossibility. It cannot exist by pure definition.

The true ideal communism is a stateless utopia.

So yeah, the Lenin model is flawed to the point of uselessness. Or worse because any authoritarian government is going to kill its own citizens, while also being a low grade threat to neighboring countries.

No. The only path to true communism is via democracy. And there are countries that are moving in that direction.

• anti-idpol action@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              2 days ago

The party was meant to just be the organizer of the workers, not the ruler. The degeneration took off only after Lenin’s death and the 4th Congress of the Comintern, which was dominated by Troika. that’s why Mayakovsky was a devout Bolshevik until Stalinzation advanced and started scrapping several progressive conquests of October, leading to his suicide at the refusal to prop up the Stalinist degeneracy.

Also Lenin was, for instance, not a big fan of the many experimental artistic movements that flourished after the Revolution, but did not suppress them, unlike Stalin.

He also regretted banning other parties (but which was necessitated by every single one of them taking up arms against Sovnarkom) and before his death wanted to offer Trotsky a post of Commisar of Internal Affairs in a desperate bid to curtail the bureaucracy, but Trotsky, unfortunately, refused.

• chaogomu@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 days ago

Lenin betrayed the revolution. You mention the banning of the political parties. While it’s true that they “took up arms against Sovnarkom”, you’re leaving out the part where Lenin used Sovnarkom to coup the newly elected government because his party didn’t win.

Again, Lenin was flat out wrong. But I don’t think he ever actually cared about Russia ever reaching the true Marxist communist utopia. Lenin cared about power first and foremost.

He built up that dictatorship, and then handed it over to a monster.

• Birbatron@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

the root of all modern languages

the whole universe used to speak it

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

P.S: the closest thing to that is Egyptian, but not the language, the Alphabet (the Symbols, not a literal alphabet). Tons of alphabets are descended from Egyptian, including, but not limited to: Greek (and by Proxy Latin, Cyrillic, Georgian, Armenian, Armenian and Armenian (I just noticed this, I’m leaving it in because it’s funny)), Arabic (and by proxy- I won’t list all that), Hebrew, and Aramaic (and by proxy all Indian languages but one, as well as Tibetan, Phags-pa mongol (and by proxy exactly 5 letters of Hangul), Thai, Lao, Sundanese, and Javanese). There’s a lot of dead languages that used scripts derived from Egyptian too but I didn’t mention them because I’d be here all day listing stuff like Sogdian or Norse Runes.