I don’t mean BETTER. That’s a different conversation. I mean cooler.

An old CRT display was literally a small scale particle accelerator, firing angry electron beams at light speed towards the viewers, bent by an electromagnet that alternates at an ultra high frequency, stopped by a rounded rectangle of glowing phosphors.

If a CRT goes bad it can actually make people sick.

That’s just. Conceptually a lot COOLER than a modern LED panel, which really is just a bajillion very tiny lightbulbs.

• JeeBaiChow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

Video games. Way back then there was imagination involved, and companies took risks. Nowadays every game seems to iterate on the same tired formula. The only recent entry I can think of that bucked this trend in the past few decades was maybe Portal, but there have been few to no other recent games that come to mind. Fight me.

• greedytacothief@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 minutes ago

Not a fan of indie games are you?

Baba is you, is a pretty original puzzle game. I’m not really into factorio, but it made tower defense cool again. There’s lots more that are weird and interesting like brigadore, airships conquer the skies, cruelty squad, superliminal.

As far as I remember, portal was a mod or indie game that valve picked up because they thought the idea was really good. It was really good.

• autriyo@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

Neither sure how to call it, nor is it a technology, more like a mindset. I am just gonna name it: “Prideful Craftsmanship”

Basically the incorporation of “useless” decorations and embellishments, to show off ones skill and maybe market oneself a little. Definitely superseded in the capitalist world. Things were just prettier or more interesting to look at, even stuff that wasn’t meant to be flashy.

But with nearly everything being made to a price point, this practice has been somewhat lost.

• Bear@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    38 minutes ago

Trains and railways are cooler and better than cars and highways. Imagine making everyone get their own personal vehicle, engine, tires, fuel, service, license, and insurance, just to watch them all crash into each other and die constantly.

• 10_0@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

CDs and DVDs, because ownership beats convenience when you can get them second hand for pennies on the pound

• Nemo Wuming@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

Clothing and towels made with asbestos fabric. During the middle ages you could clean them by throwing them in the fire and they would come out clean. Eventually your lungs would give up on you but for a while you had a very cool way to impress your guests.

• theangryseal@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 minutes ago

And we’re still making stuff and slowly realizing it’s slowly killing us. Isn’t that neat?

Maybe one day we’ll have it all figured out. :p

• CrazyLikeGollum@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 hours ago

Most weapons. Bows and swords are cooler than guns and knives. Trebuchets and catapults are cooler than any form of modern artillery.

Modern warfare, when it becomes necessary, should be fought purely with weapons designed prior to the 16th century. Just replace horses with dirtbikes and ATVs.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      40 minutes ago

Modern warfare, when it becomes necessary, should be fought purely with weapons designed prior to the 16th century. Just replace horses with dirtbikes and ATVs.

You do not want this, the level of suffering that came with these battles was insanely worse than the fighting we have today with guns/explosives.

• LouNeko@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      42 minutes ago

I disagree, firearms are way cooler than bows or swords. Sure, swords are cool but there’s only so many ways you can make a pointy sharp metal stick, or put a string on a piece of wood. But firearms in the early 1900s where absolutely wild when it comes to internal mechanics. Same thing goes for siege weapons and artillery, a trebuchet, catapult or ballista are cool at a medieval exhibit, but they ain’t a Schwerer Gustav railway canon.

But this is a statement on its own. Now every gas operated gun is either a AR-15 or AK. Every “new” gun is a “Tactitech Eaglefire XK-34-1050-Superbadger Ultradog”, and at the end its just another AR-15 with some sharp bits added to it.

Older firearms where way cooler an they don’t make them like that anymore.

• TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 minutes ago

When you break it down, yeeting a small piece of metal, accurately, up to a mile, through the use of handheld controlled explosions, is way cooler than just yeeting a pointy stick with another stick and a string. So, I am inclined to agree with you.

From an engineering standpoint, firearms are so much more fascinating.

• weeeeum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      53 minutes ago

Guns are pretty neat once you start to understand the engineering and extremely precise tolerances that go into them.

• superkret@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

Bicycle shifters.

The first iteration that could be operated without stopping was the Campagnolo Cambio Corsa.
    To shift, you had to reach behind you, where there were 2 levers.

The first one loosened the rear axle so it could move freely back and forth in the dropouts.
    The second one had an eyelet you could use to move the chain sideways.
    You put the chain on a different cog, and the rear wheel jumped forward or back due to the changed chain tension.
    Then you tightened the rear axle again.

• Everett@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 hours ago

In the near to mid future, I think an answer to this question are Internal Combustion Engines. I love electric vehicles and look forward to the tech improving. But the sheer coolness factor of moving a large machine through perfectly timed and calibrated explosions is tough to beat.

• Gil Wanderley@lemmy.eco.br
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

I never knew the complexity of ICE until watching the Garbage Time YouTube channel. They repair old cars (and sometimes break them to fix them later) and show the whole process, but do it as a hobby, so it’s all for entertainment.

• Dragon "Rider"(drag)@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 hours ago

Drag disagrees. If you want transportation with fire, ride a dragon. No need to pollute the earth. The emissions make it uncool, just like the ridiculous Mad Max cars.

• TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 minutes ago

If you want transportation with fire, ride a dragon.

Username checks out. I see you everywhere, and your comments often make me happy.

I definitely agree with you that cars are terrible, and I wish they didn’t exist. Even though I’m a hater, I gotta admit the engineering and history behind them fascinates me, still.

• waz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

As a subset of this, the fact that carburators worked as well as they did, until we had the technology to invent the simpler fuel injector, I think is pretty cool.

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 hour ago

Constant velocity carburetors blew my mind when I learned how they worked, and I got the funniest introduction to them.

I had an Aprilia RS-50 motorcycle which had a slide-type carburetor. Instead of a coin-in-a-pipe throttle, this thing basically had a portcullis across the intake. Pulling on the throttle cable pulled the slide upwards making the aperture/venturi larger, allowing in more air, while also lifting a needle up out of the jet to allow more fuel in. It’s a 2-stroke race bike, so you could easily bog down the engine if you opened the throttle too fast.

Then I bought a Ninja 250F, which has constant velocity carbs. Which also have a slide, AND a butterfly valve. The butterfly valve is operated by the throttle cable to control power. The slide is vacuum powered from the engine, and opens and closes the venturi to keep the air velocity through the carburetor constant, in order to keep the suction at the jet constant. It also has a needle in the main jet which it lifts along with the slide, so the needle’s taper meters the fuel mixture for the amount of air going through the carb. This inherently compensates for air density; if the air is less dense the vacuum mechanism can’t pull the slide open as far so the slide doesn’t open as far, and neither does the needle valve. So it automatically maintains the mixture.

Which is why using constant velocity carburetors on the Rotax 912 engine is such a brilliant idea. A carbureted airplane engine with no cockpit mixture control.

• reesilva@bolha.forum
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

And the fact is “mechanic automated” system for me is what makes it even cooler. All you had to do to start is twist it a couple revolutions and bang, it works as long as you have fuel because everything simply works. Of course, today you have electronic fuel injection and so one, but if you want you can make it works just with a lot of metal to do the right parts.

Man, I’ll miss combustion engines (but I hope its use ends ASAP because planet can’t wait anymore)

• magnetosphere@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

Pneumatic tubes were way, way cooler than email.

Of course, you could only use them to send a message to someone in the same office building, so the comparison isn’t perfect… but you know what I mean.

• CrazyLikeGollum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Also, when they catastrophically failed they wound up looking like industrial lovecraftian horrors and produced some of the loudest non-nuclear man made explosions.

None of which is a good thing, but is still pretty cool.

• tal@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 hours ago

I like the look of vacuum-fluorescent displays (VFDs) – a high-contrast display with a black background, solid color areas. Enough brightness to cause some haloing spilling over into the blackness if you were looking at it. Led to a particular design style adapted to the technology, was very “high-tech” in maybe the 1980s.

OLEDs have high contrast, and I suppose you could probably replicate the look, but I doubt that the style will come back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_fluorescent_display

EDIT: A few more car dashboards using similar style:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/skillshare/uploads/session/tmp/50c99738

https://www.pinterest.com/hudsandguis/retro-car-dashboards/

And some concept cars with similar dash:

https://www.hudsandguis.com/home/2022/retro-digital-dashboards

Some other devices using VFDs:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PkPSDOjhxwM/maxresdefault.jpg

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1_TIdcGmWBuNkHFJHq6yatVXaZ/LINK1-VFD-Music-Audio-Spectrum-Indicator-Audio-VU-Meter-Amplifier-Board-Level-Precision-Clock-Adjustable-AGC.jpg

• Domi@lemmy.secnd.me
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 hours ago

Many receivers and amplifiers still have VFDs to this day. I still wonder why, LCD has to be significantly cheaper.

They look cool as hell though, so I appreciate that they go the extra step.

• QuadratureSurfer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

Disney lost their old camera tech used to make a “yellow screen” with sodium vapor lights.

It’s actually better than a green screen because the yellow light is so specific that even if you remove that particular frequency of light, everything else still looks fine. You can do all sorts of things that would normally be very difficult to pull off with any of our green screen tech (like drinking water in a clear bottle or wearing a rainbow dress).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuIVsNzqDk

• brygphilomena@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Considering LEDs are so good at producing a very tight wavelength, I wonder if this could be replicated with more energy efficient lamps.

Or if non visible spectrum lights can be used to make similar alpha channel masks that don’t affect lighting the scene.

• pfjarschel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 hour ago

A laser, maybe, but definitely not LEDs. Vapor/gas lamps produce the narrowest frequency bands possible, because it comes from very well defined atomic transitions (Hz range). LEDs produce frequency bands with widths in the GHz/THz range, while semiconductor lasers can maybe reach KHz if they are really good. So, unfortunately, for this type of applications, vapor lamps would probably still be needed.

Source: I work with lasers and spectroscopy.