link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 hours ago

I got a bone to pick with this kind of diagram. Everyone likes to talk about how much better other animals are at things than us, but if you look at animals holistically, humans are really fuckin good at everything. Like yeah there’s a bunch of animals that are faster than us, a bunch of animals that bites stronger than us, a bunch of animals that are more muscular than us, but we’re consistently in like the top 10% overall

Finna make a version of this meme where it’s mice and iguanas

• Zess@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

We also have better full-light vision than a lot of animals, even the ones with good dark vision.

• isolatedscotch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 hours ago

Given:

Bite Force of T. rex: 45,000 Newtons

Jaw Closing Distance: Approximately 0.3 meters

Energy=Force×Distance=45,000N×0.3m=13,500Joules

Say we have a typical 10w led lightbulb, how much could it power it for?

Time= Power/Energy=13,500J / 10W=1,350 seconds, or approximately 22 and a half minutes with a single T-Rex chomp, assuming 100% conversion efficiency

• qjkxbmwvz@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

Fun fact, the (rough) conversion efficiency of calories to mechanical joules in the human body (separate from the mechanical to electrical you’re referring to) is about 25% — but this is about the same factor as going from calories to joules! So, for a human to put out 13.5 kJ of energy would require about 13.5 food calories (kilocalories).

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Every time I picture an alligator biting me I’m like I bet I could wiggle out or like somehow overcome it, because their jaws look so long and flat - like how much strength could they have? Certainly not more than a lion.

Well.

• Mothra@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 minutes ago

Just remember these guys can grip an animal the size of a horse with their jaws, overpower it, drag it to the water and rip it apart.

• Zorsith@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 hours ago

The closing force is significantly higher than its opening force IIRC. If you can close its mouth without getting bitten it’s screwed.

• Che Banana@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

Salt water Crocs are not tiny. Some alligators are on the smallish side comparatively, but there are big gators out there too.

• EldritchFeminity@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

Crocodiles are also one of those rare animals that don’t “age” in the traditional sense. Once they reach adulthood, they continue to get larger and larger until they eventually starve or their organs collapse under their own body weight. They don’t lose muscle mass or bone density or any of the usual issues we attribute to getting older.

Imagine having the build of a 25 year old at 100 and being 7+ft tall. That’s how crocodiles age.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

Yeah I’ve never seen one in real life, so I feel like like I’m not grokking the sense of scale.

Kind of like seeing a horse or moose for the first time (guess my hemisphere lol).

• moonlight@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

I bet this is peak force is measured at the base of the jaw, meaning the teeth at the tip would exert significantly lower force. So it might be possible to escape a small alligator, I’m not sure.

• PotatoesFall
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

We are omnivores and do a lot of chewing. Dogs don’t really chew, just rip.

Some great apes that have more raw plants in their diet even have a bony ridge on their skull that the jaw muscles attach to.

Our jaws actually have great leverage, our molars are very close to where the jaw muscle attaches.

• Flocklesscrow@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 hours ago

Not all dogs are the same, of course. Some dog breeds can bite harder than wolves. We selectively bred them for chomp strength.

• Potatisen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

To break the largest human bone, the thigh bone, an estimated force of 4,000 newtons is needed. However, the amount of force required to break a bone depends on how the force is applied.

-Random internet source

• dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

How is this calculated? Presumably you could directly measure all but the T-Rex and pliosaur, but how are those bits forces calculated?

• MajorMajormajormajor@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

I’m no BiteForceologist but I was assume they compare muscle size, muscle attachment points, and mechanical advantage of extant creatures and then apply that data to fossils. So not 100% accurate, but not just guessing randomly.

• phdepressed@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

For the extant creatures you give them something they want to bite on and stick a measurement thing inside of that.

For extinct creatures see other comment. You compare anatomy and do math.