• Yllych [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

good point, Obama only racked up 563 drone strikes. as we liberals are well aware, you must blow up at least 564 weddings military age targets to be considered abhorrent.

thank you for reminding us to remain civil and measured in our assessment of our foremost vampires.

• duderium [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Health insurance prices continued to rise after Obamacare was passed as though nothing had happened. Tens of millions of Americans are still uninsured or underinsured and hundreds of thousands died from lack of insurance while Obama was president (and busy doing genocide in Libya, Syria, and Yemen). Back to reddit wi’ ye, lib!

• TreadOnMe [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Black Americans saw their largest ever decrease in net wealth under Obama, he not only didn’t end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but if fact expanded the war in Afghanistan, which meant ever increasing payments to pedarist warlords, which hey, still failed.

This is besides the point that the ACA is just a handout for insurance companies, based on a Heritage Foundation made Romney-Care plan, and not the universal healthcare plan that he had promised voters during the election.

Must be fun to live in the memory-hole, I’ll bet it’s nice and warm.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Black Americans saw their largest ever decrease in net wealth under Obama

I’m pretty sure that all Americans except for the wealthy saw their largest ever decrease in net wealth under Obama, and every president since. Inflation is out of control, school, housing, and healthcare are hundreds, sometimes thousands of times more expensive, wages have stagnated, and assistance programs for the needy have been cut or cancelled. The QOL and freedom indexes have been steadily decreasing for decades.

• kristina [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

A significant amount of hexbear is queer and trans, it’s pretty wild to call out gay marriage as some great thing when those in power turn a blind eye to trans and queer genocide and abuse

Also they didn’t codify gay marriage, it can be poofed just like abortion

• usa_suxxx [they/them]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

We are 10 years after the Supreme Court case to make Gay Marriage legal and no single democrat is talking about codifying that as law…something that they, elected democrats, did not even do and you’re talking about progress! 10 years later and any informed opinion would recognize that the Republican strategy is to use the Supreme Court to undo any progress aka Gay Marriage and the Dems have no interest in codifying it!!

• BynarsAreOk [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

After reading the replies here what comes to my mind is how can someone unironicaly praise fucking Obamacare or whatever considering Bernie’s both campaigns and their ultimate outcome. Like fucking not even the reddit libs of the day would say this with a straight face, well unless you were a massive turbo Hillary/Obama shill which believe it or not at one time was not even that mainstream on that shit site.

To read this unironically in the good old year of 2023 is just funny.

• half_giraffe [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s an article literally saying that “leftists can push Biden to the left” while pointing to these accomplishments as proof:

[Biden’s administration] embraced massive government intervention to stave off the worst economic impacts, including handing millions of families monthly checks (by expanding the child tax credit), giving all kids in public schools free meals, boosting unemployment insurance and extending health coverage to millions.

All of those policies were temporary and have now expired. Truly the most progressive president since LBJ.

• Wheaties [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

“It’s been four years, and your arguments in favor of Biden are the same as before he was elected. Ask your party for a less shitty candidate, if harm reduction is your goal.”

• RION [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

maybe-later-kiddo anakin-padme-1 “In a president’s second term, they don’t need to cater to public approval and can make bold changes!”

bloomer anakin-padme-2 “Great! Biden will do good things then, right?”

maybe-later-kiddo anakin-padme-3

doomer anakin-padme-4 “Biden will do good things then… right?”

• OceanSoap@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The fact that so many people believe Biden isn’t counting on the republicans to halt any student loan forgiveness he brings forward is hilarious.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

But yeah, can’t wait to hear how it’s my fault Biden lost to Trump in 2024.

… but if you don’t vote for him “you ain’t Black.” Or whatever nonsense he said that time. (I’m not a Black person, I’m just using his words for satire.

• Smeagolicious [they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I caught that shit and I’m black. I usually give my reason for not voting Biden as “I won’t vote for a literal segregationist” which usually gets them to shut up, or at least switch tactics from “you ain’t black” to “well, people can learn and improve”. Still tired but not as staggeringly stupid

• culpritus [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

work their hearts out

not sure I’ve ever seen this specific phrase before, seems almost like a threat

sure there’s ‘bleeding hearts’ and ‘wearing your heart on your sleeve’ and ‘knock your socks off’ and ‘work your ass off’

but ‘work your hearts out’ like wtf

• Owl [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

During his last campaign, Biden said anarchists should be prosecuted. He’s not getting anything from me.

• Dolores [love/loves]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

no votes for anybody that supported sending the child de-limbing bombs to ukraine.

i’m only conforming to the International Community™️’s own goddamn treaties on this shrug-outta-hecks you want my vote don’t flaunt international law, simple as.

• footfaults [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Ask a Democrat with a long memory what the numbers 97,488 and 537 represent, and their face will twist into a grimace.

Lmao I have been following politics way more than any normal person should and those numbers are absolutely meaningless.

Make up shit.

• emizeko [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

In 2000, Nader’s vote total in Florida of 97,488 was far more than the 537-vote difference between Gore and George W. Bush.

author is a turbolib who took all the wrong lessons from 2000

• fox [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The Supreme Court stepped in during the Florida recount and said “stop that, Bush is president now mkay”, and for some reason everyone listened

• emizeko [they/them]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

not sure if I can articulate the lessons rn but it’s the same people who are still mad about Jill Stein costing Hillary the 2016 election, ignoring that Gary Johnson got 3x her votes. if you vote you have to vote for the Realistic Option, they think if those voters didn’t have Jill Stein that they would have been forced to vote Hillary instead of just not voting like most of the working poor

• RedDawn [he/him]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

The lessons they took is that the democrats need to scold lefty people into voting for them instead of changing their policy positions to appeal to those people. They blame 2000 on people voting for Ralph Nader of the green party instead of on themselves for not getting more votes or on the conservatives for stealing the close election from them (Gore actually won, the SC just appointed Bush to the presidency anyway).

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Ralph Nader was an independent presidential candidate who got some votes in 2000, where the democratic candidate was Al Gore and the republican candidate was George Bush Jr.

The election came down to an extremely close race in Florida. A recount was halted and Bush was given the presidency (partly because of deliberate sabotage on Bush’s part, see the Brooks Brothers Riot) by the US supreme court.

Libs claim that Al Gore would have won Florida (and thus the presidency) if Nader hadn’t ran. This ignores that there’s no guarantee Nader voters would have voted for Gore instead of just not voting, or voting for Bush. They do this because they believe that america’s institutions are functional and just, so any evidence to the contrary is blamed on individual bad actors, including the voter base. This belief in institutions is largely the result of propaganda, as it was and is transparently obvious that the country is rotten to the core and must be torn down.

• Zuzak [fae/faer, she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Damn it’s crazy how third party voters keep costing democrats elections. It seems like their success or failure really hinges on winning those voters. So I wonder what they’ve done to…

Oh right I forgot, “The democratic party can never fail, it can only be failed.”

• DickFuckarelli [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Hell of a fucking statement right here:

What about everything supporters of Bernie Sanders have found so thrilling about the Vermont senator’s vision of the future, from universal health care to free college? It’s true Biden was never going to deliver that, but to be honest, neither would Sanders had he been elected president.

Motherfucker, then why bother? If nothing ever gets delivered then why should I give a fuck? What’s the point?

I won’t vote for the Republican oppositon but I actively hope Biden loses.

• neo [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m going to clue you in on a secret. 2020 election? That was child’s play compared to what’s coming. The 2024 election is the MOST IMPORTANT election of our lives! The fate of democracy is at stake!!

(be prepared to dust off this statement every four years)