• LeFrog
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

There are also only two different animals: elephants and non-elephants.

• justcallmelarry@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Technically the existance of non-binaries also makes the binaries no longer binaries (due to increased optionality), so it would be fair to say everyone is non-binary

• ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

That’s just like Hangul, but for computer numbers.

Once you’re quite good at reading hexadecimals, you no longer need to look up binary, though you still need decimal-hexadecimal conversion, which is slower.

• hglman@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Floating point is a consequence of physical computerr being finite not using binary.

• uis@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Counter-counter-counterpoint: pi in base-pi can be written in one digit

• Verat@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

In that case decimal is flawed too, 0.6667 or any such approxination doesnt exactly equal 2/3. It technically happens in any number system where you are dividing by a prime that isnt part of either the base or the number being divided

• Everythingispenguins@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You joke but in astronomy there are only three elements. Hydrogen, helium, and metal. Which is just every other element together in one group.

• uis@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Define “all the other numbers”. Do we include only natural numbers? Or all instegers? Or even rational numbers? Do we include imaginary numbers? How about complex numbers? Orbetter go for quaternions?

• stanleytweedle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Feel like there’s a Set Theory issue with this but I barely understand what little I can remember about it.

• pooberbee@lemmy.ml
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Does the gender of all non-self-containing genders contain itself? This is the fundamental question of gender theory.

• gandalf_der_12te
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

A bit can have two states: true or false. Additionally, the bit can be disabled altogether (null).

• DarkCloud@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

There are non-binary people who still believe genders can suit others, and even be played with as forms of role play …and there are also examples of null states, such as nullos and asexuals…

…so non-binary doesn’t necessarily make a new binary if they still believe gender is fine for others, or as a role play.

A better way to think about it might be as a gender spectrum or quadratic continuum of varied characteristics and overlapping body forms and sexual preferences/behaviour.

…queer.

• disgrunty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Asexuality isn’t a gender. We’re just not attracted to people of any gender. Our gender identity is separate.

• NeatNit
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

To be fair, it calls then categories, not genders

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

And don’t talk to me. I’d rather be surrounded by twelve “women” (i.e. trans men) in the men’s room (or even just women) than one cis guy who insists on having a conversation with me.

I’m not there to make friends.

• Codex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

If there already exists “a binary” then that says there are 2 states. “Non-binary” only means there are not-two-states. This could be unary (there is one kind of thing), trinary (there are now 3 things, the old 2 and new, secret 3rd thing), or really any n-ary set of n distinctly numbered things, so long as there aren’t only exactly 2 of them.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

“Non-binary” only means there are not-two-states.

The state of having two states and the state of not-having-two-states is itself a two-state solution.

Unfortunately, once you rule out non-binary as a third state, you collapse back into the original binary state. Thus, non-binary exists as a quantum superposition between states, as we fluctuate between whether or not being non-binary is politically correct.

• Codex@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I want to upvote the OP for presenting an interesting discussion but downvote them for being wrong. This presents a case for a non-binary voting option.

A singular like button would still only express one portion of my sentiment. A third option could be many things, none are sufficient: a none or 0 or neutral option is effectively not voting, a sideways arrow or maybe state, or mixed state would express indecision or indeterminism rather than mixed feelings.

Therefore, I propose that a second positive-negative axis is required. The addition of these “sideways” arrows allow expressing 2 kinds of sentiment: towards the post content, and towards the poster themselves. I will not specify whether left or right is positive nor will i clarify which axis (x or y) corresponds to which kind of sentiment. I’m sure this undefined behavior will cause no problems.

Here is your composite vote in the new system: ↖️

• realitista@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The choice between a traditional up-down vote and a new non-up-down vote must have been a tough one.

• Match!!@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m considering identifying as unary now. God only made one gender and “male and female” are mental illnesses caused by the original sin 😔

• gandalf_der_12te
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Nono you misunderstand. It’s not “non-binary”.

I’m calling myself enby, which is short for ein bisschen gay.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

One day aliens are going to meet us and wonder what happened in our evolution that made us biased towards seeing every noun in groups of two, except for rules of nouns which are in groups of three.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Male-female, darkness-light, plant-animal, ying-yang, mind-body, earth-heaven, spiritual-physical, prime-composite, even-odd

3 laws of motion, thermo, robotics, of dielect, and Trinity assignment.

Something strange about us that it is easier to think of opposites but following 3 rules.

• techMayhem@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Most of these groups are simply “A” and “Everything not A”. Either a number is odd or it is even. Either a place is lit up or it is dark.

That being said there are also some cases in there where there is more than just two categories (like male-female or plant-animal) but we, for the most part, only think about the most important / biggest ones.

All of this probably comes down to the fact that in order to make sense of the world or brain constantly tries to put things into categories to quickly assess what something is or isn’t. And it makes sense that the easiest way to categorize things is by just going “Is this A or B”?

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Sure it makes a degree of sense. It is just easier to look at things that way, less cognitive load. It just didn’t have to be that way. We could have liked putting categories in groups of three.

• droans@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

That’s every binary, though. False are everything that’s not true. Ones are everything that’s not zero.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

That’s a fun thing to point out. The rules of 3 especially so, but it’s also using specific examples and lacking to see the complexity of of our ability to communicate and all the other words we have.

Androgynous, tomboy, femboy / twilight, murky, dim / fungus / Ying -Yang is cheating / spirit, form, will / limbo, underworld, cosmos, time / etc…

And even in rules, in Buddhism you have the 8 fold path, the 10 commandments, heck the 613 laws of God in Judaism.

Just don’t be going all “The Number 23” on us just cause it’s easy to find solution confirming biases in common numbers.