• Buffaloaf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

You guys need to chill a bit and stop suggesting illegal shit. This isn’t the poster’s car. This was posted on Reddit about 8 days ago and then shared by BuzzFeed 2 days ago.

The guy in the car was able to get out and then talked to the building manager who then assigned the truck a new parking spot.

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I mean there should be consequences for being an asshole and the fact that assholes very rarely receive said consequences is why when they do it’s usually brutal.

I’d definitely have scratched the paint on the passenger side and probably spit on the windshield.

Don’t be an asshole and you won’t have to worry about the consequences of being an asshole 🤷

• rosymind@leminal.space
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Better to draw a giant dick on the windshield in lipstick or eyeliner. No permanent damage, the point gets across, and it’s a bitch to get off properly. Never did it myself but I watched an adult woman do it (as a child) and it struck me as such a clever way to get back at an asshole without being a bigger asshole. (Full disclosure, she wrote “bitch” in huge letters across the windshield, but I think drawing a dick is funnier)

• smrtprts@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s funny, pretty simple rule. Yet people defending assholes in here…How about just don’t be an asshole and maybe think of anything other than yourself. Hard concept to grasp for some ppl

• VinceUnderReview@lemmy.blahaj.zone
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Leave a note, embarrass them on socials, call parking enforcement. Consequences aren’t for you or I to give, it literally only leads to bad shit happening. You don’t know if this is a single mom who borrowed a truck, an elderly person who shouldn’t be driving, or maybe something like a tweaker who did something like this because they’re fucking insane and want an excuse to attack somebody.

• Drusas@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

That is so not true. Do you really never see someone being an asshole randomly?

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

Randomly? You mean someone doing something with no consideration for anyone but themselves? That sounds exactly like the situation that calls for someone reminding that person that their actions impact others and that they’re responsible for that impact.

• pinkdrunkenelephants@lemmy.cafe
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

No, people like you enabling assholes by discouraging others from punishing them is what leads to negative consequences.

You could literally just hide cameras and film the driver if they retaliate against you and have them jailed.

People like you ruin life for the rest of us. Shut the fuck up and stop wasting our oxygen.

• VinceUnderReview@lemmy.blahaj.zone
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  8 months ago

And again, what gives you the absolute right to be the decider of consequences? Do you not see how that leads to problems? I have to drive for 6 hours straight in a small city, if I decided to give people consequences literally the only thing that would happen is I’d look like an asshole. And btw, if you live in the states, you’re a fucking idiot if you don’t think this could easily lead to the person “giving consequences” getting shot.

• Abnorc@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

He should completely disassemble the car, and then install each piece in a different car in the lot. Then he can build a new car in the original spot from the displaced pieces. A maneuver known as the auto-troll shuffle.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

That truck driver needs to learn to back in. This situation is exactly why pickup trucks are often parked with the front facing out.

• irotsoma@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

The assumption is that there is not much room in the lane. When you pull in forward, especially with a longer vehicle, you need more room to swing out and get the front end aligned with the spot before you enter the space since the rear just follows the front turning wheels. When backing, you just have to get one of the rear wheels into position and then the front end swings out while pulling into the spot rather than before pulling in. It’s way easier to pull out of the spot when you do this, too, because you can turn the wheel immediately, whereas when you’re front in, you have to back almost all the way out before you can start cutting the wheel. Of course it also depends on how far past the rear wheels the vehicle extends as to how much it will swing out.

• LifeInMultipleChoice@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

You can’t turn the wheel immediately on the way out or you’ll drag the back end of the truck into the vehicle next to you.

If they didn’t have the room to swing out to go in straight, they likely won’t get backed into the spot on the first try as well. The number of cars getting run into while parked if everyone backed in would sky rocket. I have met at least 3 people who told me they couldn’t parallel park, I’d rather those people just pull in forward so they can see where the other cars are.

• irotsoma@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

As I said, it depends on how much of the vehicle extends beyond the rear wheels as to how far you have to swing out or pull out before turning. But it’s still significantly less than with front-in parking.

And I’m not talking about skill, I’m talking about physics. I lived in a place there there was a rock wall opposite of the parking spaces and just enough room between the cars and the wall for the width of a car and maybe another foot of clearance. If the spots next to mine were occupied, it was physically impossible to pull in or out front facing without several rounds of adjustments. But backing in and out was perfectly fine. And it was only big enough for cars.

And there are plenty of spots in my city that are back in parking only (usually angled). It’s way easier than parallel parking and parallel parking is much more common. And the reason is that the cars pulling into these spots don’t have to swing into the incoming traffic lane like with front in. So they only block one lane of traffic while parking. Though most people don’t get that and swing out anyway because they’re used to front in parking.

I’ve actually been hit more times by front pulled in cars. Both because they are not at all cautious pulling out and because they mis judge how wide they should swing out before pulling in and end up side swiping the cars next to them. So it’s not even that much of a skill issue. People who don’t have skill parking will fuck It up no matter what way they have to do it.

• irotsoma@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Not so much simpler as more specific. Geometry is just a subset of physics. The common properties of objects in a three dimensional perspective of the universe. 😁

• Bloodyhog@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

Both parallel parking and backing in are a part of the bloody exam for a license here in the UK. So the people who are unable to should not have a license in the first place. And that is before we start talking about the outsized trucks americans are so obsessed with. I tend to think we should all redo the exam every 10 years or so just to make sure we are still fit…

• Forfaden@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I thought trucks were backed in for the hitch to not stick out. Why would backing the truck in help? Just so the driver could see wtf they were doing?

Thanks for the explanation everyone! I have started to drive a truck at work and I didn’t know about this

And thanks for not being jackasses while explaining too!

• Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

In tight fits you are much more able to park straight than if you parked nose in.more space for the front end to angle and get the back end where needs to be as well as space to move the front end back and forth to straighten out.

Nose forward you are pretty limited in sideways movement and need to do like 18 tiny 3-point turns to try and get it lined up good.

• bcron@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

More maneuverability, being able to pivot around the wheels that are first to enter the parking space, kinda like the difference in results when going nose first into a parallel parking spot vs backing in.

• SomeAmateur@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

So I’ve driven fire trucks and similar sized vehicles. If I’m trying to get the truck in a driveway and have two lanes to work with I can go nose first. I go into the lane opposite of the target driveway to swing the front end into the driveway. It definitely takes both lanes if you don’t want to make a 100 point turn, Austin Powers style.

If it’s a tiny road or only one lane then I have to back in. I approach by getting as close to the target drive as possible and then swing the nose away from that side of the road, lining up at a better angle when I start backing. This pic shows it well but you don’t need nearly as much space irl. Your just go slower and cut the wheel harder. The back tire could be just a bit above and to the left the #3.

My point is you can get into a lot tighter spaces backing in. There’s a reason why forklifts steer from the back. The truck in the pic should have backed in or started over.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

If you back up with your front wheels turned all the way to the side, the back corner of your car barely moves. Mostly of the movement is your front end swinging to the side.

This can be useful when you need to make a sharp turn. It allows the back corner of your vehicle to make a very tight turn around the opening of the parking space.

Basically going forward, to turn the vehicle 90 degrees might take say 30 feet of forward motion. Going backward, it might only take 3 feet of “forward” motion to turn the car 90 degrees.

Much tighter turning radius for the end of the car opposite the turning wheels.

This is why a forklift’s steering control works by turning the back wheels not the front wheels. Allows that forklift to rotate around the front, without the front moving at all.

Forklifts have a more extreme version of this design since you can turn those wheels full sideways (and even a little backwards if you want), but the same principle operates in any vehicle with one set of turning wheels.

• radix@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

If it’s a persistent problem, and a tow truck isn’t an option…

Get a set of cheap car dollies, then you can move it out of the way. THEN you can place it perpendicular to the parking spots with the bumper at that support beam and he’ll be stuck until the blue car leaves.

• jopepa@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I had a neighbor who was terrible about staying in their lines. My dad taught me how to park real good though. So, anytime they made their depth perception my problem I’d take the extra five minutes just to make sure I was atomically close to their driver side door. One morning I was lucky enough to see them climb in through their passenger side and abuse their transmission to get out of our parking spot without hitting me. I was late to work that day but the satisfaction was worth the infraction.

• TheLurker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

In all fairness… It looks like a dodge, so the owner of the pickup was probably drunk.

• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

no shit the offender drives a pavement princess pickup truck

• Dettweiler@lemmyonline.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Considering I don’t see a lift kit, expanded exhaust, and giant low-profile tires; this just looks like a regular pickup truck to me. The luster on the paint is even a little faded, so it’s getting old. Driver is just an asshole here. Probably a shitty driver, since the rear bumper is hanging at an angle.

• RickyRigatoni@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

No you don’t understand everyone who drives a pickup is bad no matter what fuckcars told me so

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

dude, a pickup truck is terrible no matter how you qualify it, they’re needlessly huge and have barely any cargo space, they’re just objectively bad in every single way.

there is no use case where a pickup truck is better than something like a kei truck, they even come in actually usefully lifted versions that would traverse offroad environments better since they’re lighter.

• thoughtorgan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Are you seriously saying a fucking kei truck is more useful than a pickup?

You’ve never done a day of blue collar work and it shows. That chintzy little JDM truck can’t do half of what America’s work force needs.

• limelight79@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Yeah, that’s an insane comment. I regularly tow an 8,500 lbs trailer with my pickup and regularly haul 2,000 lbs of pellets for our stove in it. Sometimes I tow the trailer with an additional 500 lbs of stuff in the bed of the pickup. I seriously doubt a kei truck - which aren’t even available here in the US - could handle either of those tasks.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Yeah, the post reads like someone who’s never done any manual labor in their life.

I’m their mind pickup trucks were being used to haul paper and poster board to their office job. Hahahahaha

• limelight79@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

And let’s face it, there are quite a few pickups around that have never hauled anything. But to claim they can’t haul anything is just bizarre.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Agreed. My argument is not that pickups are also owned and not used to their full potential.

My argument is that pickup trucks are the affordable workhorse of America. You can pickup a cheap second hand truck and beat the shit out of it while getting the job done.

Need to demolish a concrete structure at a customers house and dispose of it cheaply? Have you workers toss the rubble into the bed of your $5000 f150 to dispose of yourself. You wouldn’t want to do the same into a vans cargo space with all your tools.

Most work trucks in America tow a trailer full of tools and other materials that can’t get messed up, that’s why it’s really handy to have a bed attached to the truck for waste or extra tools.

• credit crazy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Unless you’re talking about towing other cars and carrying entire trees yea a kai probably wouldn’t make the cut but for furniture transportation fire wood mail delivery and mulch transportation are all things that take way less horsepower than you think hell even with car towing I’ve done with a dinky little 4 wheeler from the 80s if a atv can do all the things I mentioned a kai can absolutely accomplish them and you don’t take up soo much space when you take your haul through the city the reason everyone hates full size pickups is because soo many people just use them to get groceries and nothing more

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s good as a shop truck sure. But most American CARS have double the payload weight of a kei.

They have a place, but what I was responding to was nonsense. Pickup trucks are a necessity for tons of work. A lot of crews doing different work haul trailers full of their tools and material.

• Swedneck
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

so what’s so magical about the US that people need pickups there but not in the rest of the world? If you need to haul tools you have a van, which can carry a vastly larger volume without getting things wet.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

I’m not going to sit here and argue workforce necessities with you.

Your statement was false, that’s it. Pickup trucks are an immutable necessity for the vast majority of workers in America.

Cope harder.

• Buelldozer@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

there is no use case where a pickup truck is better than something like a kei truck

I like the mini-trucks like the Kei, they are practical and useful for light loads around town. What they don’t do is heavy loads and / or long distances.

So here’s a “use case” where my full sized American pickup truck is required. Several times in the last 6 months I’ve pulled a triple axle trailer weighing 12,000lbs (5,440 kilograms) a distance of 200 miles (320 kilometers) at an elevation of 6,000 feet (1,828 meters) ). Assuming the weight didn’t collapse the rear axle or buckle the frame on a Kei then trying to actually pull the weight would certainly destroy the transmission and / or engine.

If you want to discuss “cargo space” then ALL pickups, including the Kei, suck. Holding cargo internally is what van bodies are for, not pickup bodies. This why city based tradesman the world over drive chassis with van bodies.

So called “Off Road” is a whole different can of worms, nearly no one really does it (even if they think they do) and I’d submit that NO mass produced pickup is truly suited for it as real Off Roading is done with vehicles specialized for the terrain they are working in.

Mini-trucks are great at what they’re meant for but they aren’t meant for everything.

• Dettweiler@lemmyonline.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

If you live in a village and don’t have to haul much weight or drive far, sure, kei trucks make sense. I definitely saw them around Germany and France. In the US, everything is spread out. Also, kei trucks aren’t widely available in the US, and certainly not as much as Pickup trucks. Pickup trucks are also designed with use as a daily driver, since most people buying one will have that as their only vehicle. For someone with a great need of one, it’s both a highway vehicle and an off-road capable vehicle with high ground clearance. It’s a truck that will let you tow a trailer full of equipment one day and make that 50-mile commute to work the next.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

It does make sense to have the person who wants the tow to pay for it rather than the whole extortion racket it becomes when the owner of the car pays for it. Even when illegally parked, it should be a ticket from law enforcement rather than essentially grand theft auto unless you pay whatever amount they ask for or do a grand theft auto back to them.

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Around here if it’s a parking lot, management has to call it in, simple as that. Management fines or gets their money from the renter. If it’s your vehicle, well you would have your insurance and parking spot title if you needed a service tow.

• skuzz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Read that in the voice of Jasper from the Simpsons.

• magnetosphere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

One of the problems with revenge (deflating the tires, keying, etc.) is that there’s nothing stopping the neighbor from doing it right back the next day.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Wiggin was a pawn tho. He had no idea he was killing anything, certainly not a species. If anyone deserves the named solution it’s Graff. Rackham to a lesser extent.

This is borne out in speaker for the dead where ender devotes himself to finding a viable world for the new hive queen.

• moody@lemmings.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

He also didn’t know he was killing the kid at the beginning on the story either, but he definitely meant to make sure that he wouldn’t be bullying anyone anymore.

• abysmalpoptart@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

I think it’s more of a book reference to his fight with bonzo, who was bullying ender. Ender was a few years younger and knew he had to win the fight “permanently,” so it’s inferred that he knew what he was doing (not intending to kill him but that’s obviously a possibility).

Iirc, the officials told ender that bonzo was sent home. In reality, he did actually kill bonzo and was lied to about it.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Fair but ender himself says he never meant to kill bonzo or the kid in his earth school.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

That’s fair, though he was trying to permanently end the bullying, which is what i think OP was referencing at least. Since, you know, that would end bullying permanently

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

His goal was to demonstrate that he was a crazy animal. That was the thing he was hoping would keep the bullying away: demonstrating a lack of constraint.

It wasn’t so much about disabling the other boy as about establishing an image as an unpredictable enemy.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

His goal was to point out that it wasn’t worth it to mess with him, he’s going to fight back hard and take you out. It was about deterring him from wanting to ever pick on him. Right, his goal wasn’t to permanently disfigure him, but to establish a permanent idea that it isn’t worth it to pick on him

• s_s@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

You just do it like 3 weeks later. They’ll have no idea.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Makes me wish that OP had an absolutely beat to shit 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Then you can just play bumper cars with idiots like that.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

The autocorrect fight is real. Many of my comments have something like it because I type the word I want and sometimes autocorrect changes it the moment I hit “space”.

• poppy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

My auto correct refuses to accept that “carries” is a word and tries to change it to the possessive of the woman’s name.

https://imgur.com/a/ogGv2vo

I don’t know a woman by this name, do not have one in my contacts, etc. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• oatscoop@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Barring getting the truck towed this is probably the best “illegal” response. It’s proportional, inconveniences them in kind, and doesn’t involve property damage.

• SheDiceToday@eslemmy.es
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Aye. Too many of the suggested responses either a.) are wildly out of what another person would consider reasonable, increasing your chances of losing if it goes to a court or being assaulted by said asshole, and b.) don’t have any connection to the actual offense, and the asshole would never know why, without a doubt, that the action was taken.

• Scarronline@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Flour at the bottom of the windshield where that AC air intake is. It’ll blow flour all through the car and they’ll never get it out.

• Patch@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Four nice sturdy nails placed strategically, pointy end up, immediately behind each tyre. Be content to know that justice will come when the time is right.

• StephniBefni@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Make sure to put them on the corner of the tire, then it won’t be repairable and they it will need a new tire.

• Piecemakers@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Strike-anywhere match heads are ~⅛" wider than the space between the pin and collar of said valves, and are far cheaper. The slow leak is nearly imperceptible — until all wheels are flat simultaneously. 🫠

• TryingToEscapeTarkov@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I love reminding Dodge drivers that the Chinese CCP owns it and RAM name. Not because that is bad or anything it’s just that most RAM drivers are also racists so that helps rile em up.

• No1@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Actually, things have changed a bit.

Stellantis is the company that came about from the merger of the Italian–American conglomerate Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and the French PSA Group.

After the merger, the main owners were

• Agnelli family (Exor): 14.40%
      • Peugeot family (Etablissements Peugeot Frères, EPF): 7.19%
      • Bpifrance: 6.18%
      • Dongfeng Motor Corporation: 4.5%

So, it would seem it’s not correct to say that Dodge or RAM is owned by the CCP. It’s more Italian and French than it is Chinese…

• Serdan@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I’ve been told many times that China controls Reddit and that’s a 5% stake, so …

• RampantParanoia2365@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m a RAM driver who’s considered attaching Federation of Planets flags to my flatbed in order to make fun of trucks with American flags on them.

• PersnickityPenguin@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Better than the “Let’s go Brandon” banners I see on most of the pickups around here.

I actually saw a lifted pickup this week, plastered with a half dozen “student driver” stickers, a let’s go Brandon sticker covering his entire rear window, and a giant AR-15 sticker on the side.

Driver looked like he was 15 years old too!

Brand new Raptor, no plates