• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Their recruiting offices were set up directly across the street from my daughter’s high school right next to the Burger King where all the seniors went to lunch.

Shady as fuck

• WhatAmLemmy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

They also exclusively target lower to middle class areas because rich people have options, and the capitalist oligarchy love that poverty to cannon fodder pipeline.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Which is conveniently the real reason they are trying to ban abortion. Because poor kids without options are easy to recruit as cannon fodder

• theangryseal@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

I would imagine that behind closed doors, men in positions of power have had conversations about the potential recruits the military is losing with easy access to abortion, but I agree with you.

For the most part there is no grand conspiracy, just passionate nuts who believe they’re going to live forever who found a shortcut to what they imagine is God’s approval. Like that nut who climbs buildings to raise awareness or whatever it is he’s doing. They believe when they die, they’ll wake up on a cloud and hear “Jesus Loves the Little Children” playing in the background. Their lord will walk up to them and embrace them, tell them what a good job they did shouting about saving babies as he pets their hair.

I grew up in that world. So glad I don’t still live in it.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

If you’re still believing they’re religiously motivated you’re exactly where they want you.

• acceptable_pumpkin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Also a huge reason the GOP is so against student debt forgiveness. Can’t give poor people an option beyond joining the military if they want to go to college.

• TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

I remember one of the ® Congress critters saying as much a few years ago, but I can’t find the source. I think it was one of their complete imbeciles.

• gaifux@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

So is the alternative to kill people in the womb based on the possibility they might end up joining the army at some point in their lives?

• explodicle@local106.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

The alternative is to not convince fools that fetuses are people just so that they’ll create more soldiers.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

If they truly cared about “all life” they would be pushing food programs for kids in schools, and persue free education.

But educated children don’t end up in the military… Quick cut those programs!

Republicans pull out a Bible and read whatever chapter slightly resembles the doctrine they want to push, and conveniently forget all the rest. And their voting base laps it up because they’ve never actually read a Bible themselves either.

• gaifux@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

You’re right. We’re better off killing them in the womb to prevent any suffering they may have.

• BakerBagel@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

They target a lot of wealthier neighborhoods as well. Lot of failsons that can’t get into a good college because of their shit grades, but a couple years in the army as an NCO means they can get into a decent school afterwards.

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Yeah, there are special divisions for fortunate sons, who get fancier barracks and light duties away from harms way. We know because George W. Bush served his military career in one in the Coast Guard.

• Mango@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Isn’t there a law against people who take advantage of kids being near schools?

• random9@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I went to highschool and university in the US - I was lucky that I got a scholarship and that covered pretty much all my tuition costs.

But I had a friend, one year older than me, who joined and served in the US army for something like 2 years just so he could get his university costs covered and to save some money for living expenses.

It may not be intentional, but the high cost of higher education is an excellent recruiting tool for the US military.

• Neato@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

The poverty draft is very real. Usually it’s for enlisted who have no other prospects. But I was in that same boat in college. 2 years in ROTC before something made me realize I was not going to enjoy military life and dropped it.

• hex_m_hell@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I went to school in a dirt poor place. Like half of my graduating class joined the military. Recruiters were in the halls like every week. Yeah, it’s absolutely intentional.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Wasn’t there some tweet of a US general that said to not get rid of high college costs because they would get less soldiers signing up?

• SendMePhotos@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yes. It was. Now days most jobs offer to cover college. I want to know how they benefit because I don’t get it.

• Serinus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

They get relatively cheap, more educated workers for at least a short time. And they’re often able to keep them at a cheaper salary than hiring someone with the same education. A (proactive) promotion that doubles your salary from $35 to $70k a year generates a lot of goodwill, even if that education and position would usually start at $90k.

Also people who “go to college” that work pays for don’t live on campus, so the company is only on the hook for tuition, and not room and board. And it’s often not full time. It’s worth $10k/year for all that.

• dangblingus@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s creepy that they’re allowed to text children without their express consent. Assuming that this is a real text exchange and that OOP didn’t wilfully give the recruiter their number earlier.