• Socsa@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

My wife, to this day, shuts off the shower and then immediately steps out while water is still running off her soaking wet body, inevitably creating a puddle in the bathroom.

“Honey, why don’t you drip for like five seconds, or even grab the towel and give yourself a quick dab before you get out?”

The first time I told her this she just stared at me for a solid 20s while her brain rebooted. But then her “never admit anything ever under any circumstances” instinct kicked in and she responded “wow are you really policing my shower habits?”

So anyway, now she knows better, but still does it because marriage is about compromise, or something.

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

There’s an episode of The Office where Pam and Jim are trying to make Dwight think he’s in The Matrix, so they keep arranging “glitches.” Pam trains a cat to walk past Dwight’s door and then around to repeat it. As they’re telling the camera about it, Jim says “Why didn’t we just get two black cats?” and Pam looks at him with the expression I imagine this guy had with his girlfriend.

• Boy of Soy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

So I may be incredibly high right now, but I’ve watched all of The Office at least 5 times now and this scene sounds entirely unfamiliar to me. Is it a deleted scene or something? Because that shit sounds hilarious and I’d love to see it.

• vexikron@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

And thats what we call gaslighting!

Very cool, very funny, very good behavior!

/s

• stalfoss@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Gaslighting is a colloquialism, loosely defined as manipulating someone into questioning their own perception of reality.

Sounds like making someone believe they are in the matrix fits this perfectly but I’m no englishmatologist

• A_Very_Big_Fan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

It’s about making someone question the validity of their perception of reality. It’s emotional abuse, not simply tricking or lying to someone.

When I was a kid, my parents weren’t gaslighting me when they convinced me the tooth fairy was real by putting money under my pillow and taking the baby teeth. They weren’t making me feel like I couldn’t trust my perception of reality, or that my feelings were invalid.

(Real world example): My best friend as a teenager tried convincing me he wasn’t trying to seduce my girlfriend at the time. He convinced me that my expressions of discomfort with all the “accidental” touching was me being a prude, and when I told him I thought he had ulterior motives trying to hang out with her alone and swim in his pool so often he convinced me that I was being up-tight. Lo and behold, one day in a drug-fueled stupor he admitted to me that he loved her the whole time. Making me feel like I couldn’t trust my own feelings on the matter was gaslighting. Now I have trust issues.

• stalfoss@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

You’re overthinking this a bit, the whole point of the matrix is that our reality is fake. Making someone believe they are in the matrix is to make them question their perception of reality. Making someone question their perception of reality is gaslighting.

• A_Very_Big_Fan@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                4 months ago

I know, I’ve seen The Matrix twice, and you’re still using “gaslighting” wrong.

WebMD: “Gaslighting is an emotionally abusive strategy that causes someone to question their feelings, thoughts, and sanity. If someone gaslights you, they’ll attempt to make you question reality. The purpose of gaslighting is to convince you that you can’t trust your thoughts or instincts.”

The definition you found is frustrating because it’s too vague and easily misinterpretable. If you look at any full explanation you’ll see that the “makes them question their perception of reality” in your definition means it like “undermines their perception of reality”.

The way you and the other guy used it is like when mentally healthy people say they have “OCD”. It’s a watered down buzzword version of a term that’s actually useful for understanding life issues when you actually understand what it means.

• phlemmy@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

When I was about 8 years old my aunt told me she returned a belt to the store because the buckle wouldn’t fit through the belt loops in her pants. I’ll never forget the look on her face when I told her to put it through the other end first.

• StThicket@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

My wife started a new job a few years ago, and during training she was shown how to create invoices.

1. Open the excel template
    2. Fill inn the items, and the prices
    3. Sum all posts USING THE DESKTOP CALCULATOR …

She was completely dumbfounded.

• Sheridan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I didn’t realize I could dry off with a towel while still standing in the bathtub/shower until I was 26. Now my bathroom floor doesn’t get wet on a daily basis.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

The perfect bathmat is one of those brown fibre door mats, the kind people also use to get their car out of the snow. Always feels dry, never slips, and lasts for years.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

I believe wet bathrooms have a drain in the middle of the bathroom. This is the way we should build all bathrooms.

• uncertainty@lemmy.nz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Bathrooms should have a floor drain regardless of whether they are of the wet variety. I personally hate the concept of a wet bathroom and the behaviour it encourages. Stuff gets wet that shouldn’t, it just makes everything harder and expands the scope of cleaning while compromising “dry” tasks after someone else has used the shower if they partake in the undisciplined behaviour the design encourages. Also not a fan of all the functions being in one room.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

I might be using the term wet bathroom wrong, I just mean the floor should have a drain (and be able to get wet obviously).

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

No you don’t touch the towel to the shower floor, you do everything but that. Then you step into the mat mostly dry, not cold, not making a mess to finish.

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

No, they are for the last drops missed while toweling in the shower

• uncertainty@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

After you’ve skimmed the water off, then towel dried inside the shower, the bathmat barely needs to get wet, especially if you step onto your towel when getting out.

• zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

So, one day I’m hanging out with my friend, and he introduces me to his friend. Middle-aged guy, seems pretty nice, but he’s having a shit day. Why? Because he had to copy something from an email, and he spent about an hour, flipping back and forth between two windows, copying the email into a Word document or something. I was dumbfounded, and I said “Why didn’t you just copy-paste?” The guy stalks off with his head down, muttering under his breath.

• fetter@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

My boss will purposely screen shot text he writes so I have to rewrite it and not copy paste… not fun.

• JasonDJ@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Or an iPhone with access to the email. Probably a feature on Android too, idk, I’ve been away from modern Android for ~3 years.

Lots of times I’ve realized it’s easier just to take a screenshot (or even a photo of someone else’s phone…did that tonight when my wife was getting a weird error in Netflix) and then copy the text (or just go right to search from the selection).

• popemichael@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Text capture saves hours and hours

I use Microsoft PowerToys for that and dozens of other QOL life hacks.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I was about 25 years old before I realized I could use warm water to wash my hands in the winter. I’m usually considered a very intelligent individual, but for some reason this never occurred to me. Maybe it’s because I grew up poor and we tried to use as little hot water as possible, or maybe I’m just not as smart as people think I am.

• SuckMyWang@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

The tree of knowledge is enormous. We’re all bound to miss a thing or two. Most people might not ever come across a situation where they are missing that knowledge or they live their whole lives not realizing. Fuck I wonder how many things I haven’t realized yet?

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Fuck I wonder how many things I haven’t realized yet?

Just asking that puts you miles ahead of most people in this thread.

Almost everything I do I try to think of a better way of doing it. All of these things people are saying just seem so thoughtless to me, because … well, they are thoughtless.

If people would think about what they’re doing they’d come to these realizations much, much sooner.

• drengbarazi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Thank you, SuckMyWang for your input, really insightful

really, though, I’d argue the tree of knowledge is not enormous, but infinite

isn’t there a saying like: “The more you know, the less you know”?

• pearsaltchocolatebar@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I always wash with cold water, but that’s just because I’m impatient. Unless I’m about to get intimate with my SO, then my hands gotta be warm.

• Chriszz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I think it’s a little more nuanced. If it wasn’t a problem for you then I see no reason to question your intelligence, if it was a big problem and you didn’t see the obvious solution, then I’d be willing to agree with your reasons

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yup, I wash my hands with cold water because waiting for the water to heat up takes as much time as actually washing my hands. I can handle 10-20s or whatever of cold water, but waiting 10s just feels wasteful for a quick hand wash.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Right, I was going to add exactly this. Who has the patience to wait for hot water

• Strykker@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

Counter point, most of us don’t live in buildings so poorly built that our water takes more than 1-2 seconds to come out hot…

• 48954246@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Reminds me of the guy that spent his entire life sitting on the toilet with the seat up because he was told “girls use it with the seat down and boys have the seat up”.

It wasn’t until he got comfortable enough with his partner that when she saw him and asked why he wasn’t sitting on the seat did it even occur to him that he could.

• DerisionConsulting@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

It wasn’t until he got comfortable enough with his partner that when she saw him

Unless it’s your kink, most people don’t use the toilet in front of their spouse.

Edit: It sounds like a lot of straight people expel waste in front of their partners.

• eneff
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

That doesn’t match my personal experience at all.

Using the toilet with each other present has been a thing in every relationship I’ve been in. And no, at no point was that a kink of either one of us.

• Gloomy@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Same. I know of no couple in my circle where using the toilet in each others presence is anything else but just plain normal. They all do it.

Edited for clarification, because words = hard

• DerisionConsulting@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

That’s the exact opposite as my experience.

I am gay and from Canada and I assume you are straight and from Germany?
          Maybe it’s a regional thing, or a gay vs straight thing?

• zaphod@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

Canadian here. It’s not regional. My wife and I use the bathroom while the other is present all the time.

I am straight, though, so I can’t comment on that theory.

• Aux@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

That’s because your bath and toilet are in the same room. They should be separate.

• TengoDosVacas@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

An acquaintance was always complaining about how cold the water was when washing dishes. He had never thought to turn on the hot water.

He and his wife were conservative talk show hosts in Indiana, specializing in talking about how stupid liberals are.

• KingOfTheCouch@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Growing up we had a walk in shower, the way it was setup there was no way to reach in and not get hit by cold water. Especially a short kid with short arms, you were getting a full blast cold water trying to go “out” of the shower. The tap was the push-pull type and very difficult to modulate so limiting to low pressure trickle was basically a game of russian roulette. The best I could do was hug the wall and let it only get whatever corner of my body I wanted to sacrifice to temporary hypothermia that morning.

• LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

some people have posted photos of showers in modern upscale hotels, walk-in showers that have a hole through the glass for you to stand safe & warm & dry outside, reach through the hole from the outside to turn on the water.

• gazter@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

This just seems like the wrong way around… Surely it’s better to build the shower so the water doesn’t go near the tap? Just have the tap off to the side?

Imagine having a sink where the tap was directly underneath the spout.

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

That’s an understatement. It would be such a huge pain the ass to plumb that.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Yeah that was definitely a take that forgets that valves are still a mechanical system and the knobs are where they are cause they open and close the flow of water there. I guess you could do electrical systems now but… That’s probably a bad idea for so many reasons.

• gazter@aussie.zone
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

Yes, the plumber would have to put a few extra bends in the pipe, drill through a couple more studs. I don’t see that as being a big deal. It’s a pretty common thing to see taps that are not directly in line with the shower head.

• Peppycito@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

My friends house had a little spout near the floor in his stand up shower, so you could run the water and test the temperature with your toe. When it was good you pulled the stopper like in a bath and it came out of the shower head.

• merc@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

And all the cold water that has been sitting in the shower pipes since the last shower comes out, pushed by the warm water behind it.

• RampantParanoia2365@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

My aunt and uncle had a walk in where the controls were by the door instead of under the shower head. I always thought that was brilliant.

• LifeOfChance@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

This would honestly be a reasonable enough excuse on why the OP was set in his ways from something like this. Once you’re conditioned to something it takes a hold on you. How often does a person really question a habit they learned at a really early age?

• KingOfTheCouch@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Oh yeah, this was the solution later on. For like kid me? At the time I didn’t know you could even replace the showerhead… :(

• dantheclamman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

My previous place heated up very slowly, so I started saving the cold water in a bucket to water my plants because it felt like a waste

• Wogi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

One time I took a pot roast out of the oven and set it on the stove. I turned around to grab something and looked back and thought, no, that needs to be scooted up a bit, and proceeded to grab the handle of the pan that had been out of the oven for all of 4 seconds with my bare hand.

That hurt.

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I’ve done that with a cast iron. I had to go to the hospital. Same exact thing.

Use mitt. Put on stove. Take off mitt.

3 seconds later,Need to adjust, forget mitt.

Grab handle fully. Palm, thumb, fingers. Aghhhhhh

Cry a little bit. Soak in water pitcher.

Drive to hospital with hand in pitcher.

• diannetea@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

So I just always turn the oven mitt around after I set it on the stove and put it over the handle as a reminder that it’s hot

I have burned myself in so many random ways around the kitchen, but this is a nice visual reminder to everyone who might not know that this pan is probably pretty hot still

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Right but apparently the surface of my brain is as smooth as the cooking surface of my cast iron.

• Wogi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I probably should have gone to urgent care.

I did not. I put some creme on it, screamed, and held on to cold sodas all night

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Well I got some painkillers, and luckily don’t have addiction issues so they really helped

• ramenshaman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I remember in first or second grade when I realized that, when I made a mistake, I didn’t have to erase the whole word and I could just erase the part I messed up.

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I can’t do that. If I mess a word up the whole thing is dead.

Same for passwords. If I feel I missed a key, in deleting the whole thing and starting it over

• FilterItOut@thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Oooh, the password thing totally gets me. Usually I have to start over because I don’t know where I messed up. I type them in too damn fast and by the time the little brain part that’s monitoring things says, “Hey, that one key was wrong,” I’m ten characters beyond and wasn’t counting anyway, so I have to start over.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Yeah I might be a weirdo. I count the dots to where I was still comfortable assuming the password was correct until, delete to there, and finish the password again and pretty much always works.

• TodaviaTyler@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yeah, my hands on a keyboard can’t spell words, they just muscle-memory them. One spelling error and I have to erase amd rewrite the entire word.

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I used to have these small faux pas lead to tension and eventually the loss of relationships.

One day I was complaining to my zen teacher about one of these instances and he suggested I apologize for it.

He said “That’s called ‘make mistake, correct mistake’” (I think he made up the saying on the spot for me).

Now some twelve years later I’m still reminding myself that I can just correct my mistakes.

• CitizenKong@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

A friend of mine told me a story once about an intern that was tasked with writing a text. She delivered one page of text and was told to write more. She asked how. She didn’t know that you could write more than one page in Word.

• RampantParanoia2365@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Someone on Reddit once said they didn’t realize the white part of your finger nails are where it’s unconnected to your skin, and they’d just clip wherever, and often bleed because they’d clip the skin.