• BestBouclettes@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

I still don’t know if it was overly pretentious garbage or an enlightening allegory of the current state of the world. But watching it was definitely an experience. The cast is great, and I found it visually beautiful and interesting.

• Colalextrast@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

I think its firmly both. There are a lot of great ideas in the movie, and they come across really well when you discuss it. But its also a mess of a film that cares more about allegory and metaphor than narrative.

• Bakkoda@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

The worst part about this movie is you can’t even see the original in search results anymore. Like it never existed.

• daqu@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 hours ago

I have no idea what this movie is about. So I watched the trailer.

Star Wars Episode XIII: Avengers of Ben Hur?

I have no idea what this movie is about.

• LaLuzDelSol@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 hours ago

I also have zero idea what the movie poster is. It looks like Adam Driver is holding a Pizza Hut logo on a stick in front of the world’s most generic mess of golden polygons. I guess that’s some sort of construction tool?

• daqu@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

The poster remembers me of the 1984 Apple commercial, whicht also fits bulding a better future. But that’s totally wrong.

• BrightCandle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

It got a lot of controversial press before its release and I can’t really recall hearing what the movie is about or it being any good.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Something something new Rome something something super powers that are useless something something the end

• Bosht@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 hours ago

Literally never heard this movie was being made except for 2 posts here, both of which happened after the movie opened in theaters. Marketing team obviously wasn’t doing shit.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Considering he had to finance everything himself, there wasn’t a ton of marketing and it’s a very controversial movie (in the sense that no one wanted to help him with financing/releasing it)

• mostNONheinous@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

Maybe if the trailer didn’t tell you how great and misunderstood Coppola and his works have been and how stupid people were for panning them when they came out, more people would have been compelled to see it. Not that it was pretentious, just arrogant to say hey come watch this this sure fire masterpiece. Also it looks like politics mixed with Inception so maybe too much for people to bother right now? Having said all that I would like to see it, just don’t need to go to the theater for this one.

• Soup@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

Also, if your paraphrasing is accurate and we’re not playing a game of telephone here, regardless of how past experiences were later treated that’s kinda like saying “you’ll probably hate this unless you’re the kind of person who’ll still only appreciate it once a few critics tell you to in a few years.”

• TheImpressiveX@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

Having said all that I would like to see it, just don’t need to go to the theater for this one.

From what little I’ve heard, there’s a 4th-wall-breaking scene that involves one of the characters interacting with an audience member (the theater apparently has someone come in and participate). So if nothing else, I guess you could see it in theaters for the novelty?

• Odo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

My theater didn’t do that. There was one segment that was framed a bit differently, which I suspect is where the interaction would have been, but it played more like a short press conference and had no interaction.

• ApollosArrow@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

This most certainly did not happen in my viewing. I am now curious what scene this would have been or if it was just cut out.

• Naboo_calls_for_aid@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

Ah, so from what I’m reading it’s confusing now, but will be more confusing at home with a broken 4th wall break segment.

• thessnake03@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 hours ago

Even adjusting for inflation, Pluto Nash still wins. It opened to $3.5M in today’s money.

I feel like there hasn’t been much marketing for Megalopolis. Could be a factor. I’d say the long run time doesn’t help, but Oppenheimer counters that point.

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

Oppenheimer had the advantage of people knowing basically what the story was about. The poster for Megalopolis doesn’t really tell me what it’s about beyond Adam Driver apparently being an architect.

It’s the same reason everything is a reboot or remake: A lot of the marketing cost has already been taken care of with the first movie.

• brap@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

Agreed, not heard of it outside Lemmy. Perhaps I’ve insulated myself from ads a little too well.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

Yeah but usually of something is good, people will want to discuss it. This has gotten no hype, no post release discussion. It’s a ghost.

Really odd for such a big budget movie.

• jonne@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

I’ve mostly heard about the controversies (the fake AI quotes in the trailer, some alleged #metoo stuff on set, …). Reviews seem very mixed, some reviewers hate it, others love it, which makes me think some of them just don’t ‘get’ it?

• acosmichippo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

aubrey plaza was on the daily show talking about it, so i assume they were doing the usual TV talk show tour.

• Aphelion@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 hours ago

Yes, and she was so uncomfortable, nervous and fidgety the whole interview that I’m convinced there’s much more dirt on Coppola and his behavior on set that’s waiting to surface. She might as well have been wearing a T-shirt that said “Please don’t ask me anything about the production of this movie so I don’t get sued”. It was genuinely painful to watch.

• pewter@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

Watch her other interviews. She’s always nervous and fidgety. She claims she gets uncomfortable doing those staged interviews for press circuits.

• Sabin10@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

This is the second time I have heard about this film, the last time being the release of the first teaser trailer. Studios love to spend 70 million marketing budgets on broadcast TV advertising and completely missing their target audience. In the case of sci-fi, most of us are more responsive to online marketing campaigns and this film has the online presence of an Amish priest.

• Visstix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

He sexually harassed extras on set. I’m glad this pretentious asshole loses his money.

• A_Union_of_Kobolds@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

I wonder if it’s any good, all I hear is how little money it made like that means anything to anyone but the producers.

• GeneralEmergency@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

The only people I have seen saying good things about it, are the same people who think hating what’s popular is a personality trait.

• unknowing8343
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

It’s bad. If it was good, the story would have been pretty different.

Obviously some people will still like it. But even those will have to admit it’s an incredible mess, and it shows why no company wanted to invest in it.

• Kelly@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            36 minutes ago

wikiless.org is using a TLS cert that expired in February.

I don’t know the project very well but if they’ve been giving cert errors for half a year it might be time to link directly to Wikipedia.

• Sʏʟᴇɴᴄᴇ@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 hours ago

I saw it hoping this was the case, but sadly it’s just not very good. I loved the visuals, the ambition, and his commitment to try and breakout of traditional storytelling methods, but the ham-fisted handling of the subject matter really ruined it for me. By all means see it for yourself and be your own judge but I wouldn’t go in expecting an underrated masterpiece.

• Richard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

Not really sad. Coppola is an artist, first and foremost, and he said that he doesn’t care whether the film will be financially successful. It is a passion project financed at least partially from his own money, and to be his magnum opus.

• unknowing8343
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

It’s bad. It’s bad and we’ve been knowing this for months, as it premiered in some festival.

It’s so bad no distributors wanted any piece of the cake (because the necessary costs are astronomical).

• Richard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

AFAIK, the movie received a 10-minute standing ovation at Cannes. It is an art film first and foremost, and probably not for the general audience that flocks to the same old, boring formulaic movies a la Marvel & co.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 hours ago

Every movie at Cannes gets a ten minute standing ovation. That’s normal.

I’m excited to see this though. But I’m not going to go to the theatre for it.

• circuitfarmer@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 hours ago

But I’m not going to go to the theatre for it.

Same here, and frankly I will never again think it is surprising that a theatrical release is underperforming. Doesn’t matter which film. Theaters are underperforming because of many factors.

I can buy my own copy of the film for less than it would take for me and one other person to see it together once in a theater.