Ripped parts of the post:

The bacteria is best known for causing a type of food poisoning called “Fried Rice Syndrome,” since rice is sometimes cooked and left to cool at room temperature for a few hours. During that time, the bacteria can contaminate it and grow. B. cereus is especially dangerous because it produces a toxin in rice and other starchy foods that is heat resistant and may not die when the food it infects is cooked.

And

Unfortunately, that was the case for a 20-year-old student, who passed away after eating five-day-old pasta.

His story was described in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology a few years back, but has since resurfaced due to some YouTube videos and Reddit posts. According to article, every Sunday the student would make his meals for the entire week so he wouldn’t need to deal with making it on the weekdays. One Sunday, he cooked up some spaghetti, then put it in Tupperware containers so that days later, he could just add some sauce to it, reheat it and enjoy it.

However, he didn’t store the pasta in the fridge, rather he left it out on the counter. After five days of the food sitting out at room temperature, he heated some up and ate it. While he noticed an odd taste to the food, he figured it was just due to the new tomato sauce he added to it.

• weariedfae@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 hours ago

Again?!

Edit: oops no. Same guy. I think about this all the time. Like…who raised him to leave pasta on the counter and then eat it?! The sheer ignorance baffles me.

• Podunk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Article says, college student… if you are suprised… i hate to break it to ya. They are all that dumb in one way or another. I know i was at least. And i know im not outside of the status quo in that regard.

Hindsight and survivors bias. Also, super bad luck for that kid.

• GaMEChld@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 hours ago

5 days ON THE COUNTER?! And it tasted off, and he consumed it anyway.

This is so stupid that it has to be intentional suicide.

• LustyArgonianMana@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 hours ago

I one time argued with literally hundreds of people on Reddit about basic food safety regarding food left out on the counter. I’m still floored by it. Numerous government agencies around the world agree about this, and yet…

Btw food safety was MORE critical before modern science because you could easily die from it back then. That was a common excuse people gave me in the previously mentioned subreddit, for eating food left out/bad - “our ancestors did it”. No.

• BigBenis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

Shoot I’ll leave rice on the counter all day sometimes… I should stop doing that.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

This thread is interesting. Everywhere ranging from “I eat pizza from the counter after 3 days” to “yeah I would never eat anything left out on the counter for over 2 hours”.

And someone said everything in their fridge is food they cooked over 5 days ago… Why??

• Asafum@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 hours ago

And someone said everything in their fridge is food they cooked over 5 days ago…

I’ve been doing this for years and years. Maybe not wayyy more than 5 days but it is usually about a week. I don’t have all that much time after work so I don’t want to waste time cooking and I’m not wasting money on take out so I do all my cooking for the week on Saturday or Sunday. I don’t do what the poor kid in the article did though, if anything I put things in the fridge that are still way too hot but I never wanted to risk something like that.

• Damage@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

if anything I put things in the fridge that are still way too hot but I never wanted to risk something like that.

It’s better for food hygiene to go from hot to cold as fast as possible, it reduces the time it spends at the optimal temperatures for bacteria to grow. That’s what we do for example when we sterilize milk, tomato, etc.
        If your fridge can handle it, it’s not a problem AFAIK

• Th4tGuyII@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 hours ago

Honestly 5 days out on the counter was asking for trouble - that long is tempting fate even when stored properly in the fridge

• MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      48 minutes ago

Huh, i always thought that pasta and rice are some of the safer things to store a week in the fridge.

• DominusOfMegadeus@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 hours ago

Yeah, cooked pasta? Two days tops, and I personally wouldn’t touch it after one. And why not refrigerate it? Did they not own one, because I can’t see any other logical explanation to not do this.

• JordanZ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

From just the post I was going to say college student with a crappy mini fridge that couldn’t possibly hold a weeks worth of meals. The article had more info and said his parents found him after he didn’t get up for class though. So seems like he was still living at home. No reason to not refrigerate it and how did his parents not notice what he was doing? Seems like somebody around should have had more common sense than this.

• DaCrazyJamez@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

Two days on pasta? I give 5-7 in the fridge, and six months if I freeze it. Maybe a little less if its a dairy based sauce like alfredo

• QuantumSparkles@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

This made me really anxious about how long I tend to leave food out up until the moment I read that he left it out on the counter FOR FIVE DAYS

• Tikiporch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 hours ago

The CDC says no more than two hours for perishable food, and one hour if ambient temp is 90°F or above.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 hours ago

For the 96% of the world that aren’t stuck in the 1700, that means 32°C

• Damage@feddit.it
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

People don’t read articles 'cause they don’t want to spend a click, and you suggest opening a new tab and doing a web search?

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 hours ago

Alternatively, we could put units in something the majority of internet users use and let the minority take that extra step…

• 50MYT@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

I lived with a flatmate that used to pull this sort of shit.

Typical process:

She would remove the frozen chicken from the fridge, put it on the outdoor table, then go to class. Would come home to a defrosted chicken, which she would take and chop in half on the kitchen floor. Then she would put one half back in the freezer, usually on top. Lovely going to get ice to find it’s covered in frozen defrosted chicken blood. She would then use the other half to cook up a soup in our one big pot we had. This pot would live on the back corner of the stove for a week. Or two. Each day she would take a ladle full and warm it up to eat. The big pot wasn’t kept warm or in the fridge.

I got to the point where as soon as we saw the mould growing out of the pot, we would biff the entire contents and water blast the pot outside. Much to her annoyance.

She would then just repeat again the next week.

• AlecSadler@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 hours ago

My MIL does this, to this day, regularly, and it baffles me how she doesn’t get food poisoning.

She most recently let a chicken carcass hang out at room temp for 36 hours before boiling it to make a soup, which, okay, boil it long and high enough you’re probably fine. But then after it was done the stove was turned off and it sat out for another 18 hours before being put in the fridge.

Also she doesn’t believe that hard boiled eggs need to be refrigerated, I’ve seen a batch sit for 7+ days.

She also thinks I’m wasteful if I toss something that’s moldy, she scrapes the mold off and eats it. But based on what I’ve read, there are unseen spores you’re just ingesting so screw that.

• NecroParagon@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 hours ago

Man she just really wanted to see if her body could take it. Imagine the confusion at the horrible shits she must’ve had regularly. Couldn’t have anything to do with those food practices.

• Aussiemandeus@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

I wonder if that’s common practice, where I grew up in Australia it wasn’t uncommon to see meat hung up outside under a tree and people just cutting off the rotten bits

• 50MYT@aussie.zone
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 hours ago

Maybe.

This was Dunedin, NZ, so it was cold enough during the day to not be the end of the world, but still…

• Aussiemandeus@aussie.zone
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 hours ago

Yeah In today’s day and age with what we know about bacteria and refrigeration i see no need for what any of these people were doing

• 50MYT@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 hours ago

Oh we did.

Regularly.

But as poor students, it was pick your battles. Her dick boyfriend used to drive them both home drunk as, then cook chicken nuggets at 3am setting off the smoke alarms on a Tuesday…

• Capt. Wolf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 hours ago

Never fails to amaze me how so many people don’t understand basic food storage.

My clients, constantly: “What do you mean I can’t just throw this open bag in the fridge?”, “What do you mean, ‘foil isn’t airtight’?”, “I don’t know how long it’s been in there! What do you mean it expired a month ago?” and my absolute favorite, “You can’t throw my moldy food away! You owe me money for that!”

• Death_Equity@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 hours ago

It was a bit of an anxiety ride for me as well, being a frequent rice and pasta consumer.

• 🏝Skoob🏝@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      12 hours ago

Yup. This exactly. After 2, and I feel like I shouldn’t even go that far lol, I toss out. Safe than sorry and all that.

• capital@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Im astounded at the speed that this can kill.

If I’m reading the article correctly, it was <24 hrs? God damn.

• JordanZ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

From the article:

Investigators examined his body and determined that he passed away at around 4 a.m., ten hours after ingesting the spaghetti.

• i_am_somebody@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 hours ago

Toxins generated by bacteria and some fungi are EXTREMELY poisonous. The unfortunate victim essentially ate a poisonous mushroom in the form of pasta.

I am shocked to see how many people leave food on the counter to eat later. Refrigerate it immediately! Not one hour, not twenty minutes! As soon as you’re done eating, to the fridge it goes!

Nothing ever happens to you until it happens, and we’re not talking about stomach pain, but almost instant death.

• 9point6@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

The danger zone for food is between about 20 to 45 degrees Celsius. You can let hot food cool for an hour or so, but you’ve gotta get it into the fridge before it spends much time in that zone.

Obviously the amount of time this is a risk varies wildly by food, and some things are actually salty, acidic or fatty enough to limit a lot of bacterial growth for a surprising amount of time. But it’s just more sensible to not roll the dice on food safely

• kofe@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            37 minutes ago

Wait, so since tomatoes are acidic is that why it’s not as big of a deal to let dishes with it cool completely before fridgerating? My ex told me that fridgerating too early makes the tomato go sour, so like chili I try to split into smaller containers to cool more quickly. Still makes me nervous leaving it out too long, but I haven’t had issues yet

• HaveMouseWillTravel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

I don’t think this applies to modern fridges. They are more than capable of maintaining their desired temperature when hot food is there.

• Ledivin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

5 days out of the fridge - even sealed - is straight insanity. Of course he got sick eventually, I’m just surprised it took so long 😱😱😱

• hakunawazo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      38 minutes ago

Especially when sealed. It can’t dry and it’s like a petri dish for mold and bacteria.

• ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.netOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 hours ago

The article says he stored it in Tupperware. Spaghetti in an airtight container, like rice and other carbs, take a lot longer to show signs of mold. So maybe not in the first week. But absolutely after a month!

And for anybody curious who wants to try the science: reminder that if you see visible mold, it’s already too late. The spores are deep in the food and what’s visible is just a fraction of the fungus!

• Valmond@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 hours ago

Especially sealed, it would probably just have dried up otherwise and been crunchy but ok.

• Sumocat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 hours ago

Terrible headline. The bacteria that killed him is associated with ‘Fried Rice Syndrome’ but FRS is named for leftovers stored in the fridge, not uneaten food left on the counter.

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 hours ago

also like… i think literal billions of people eat fried rice that’s been sitting in the fridge for a day or two, and yet “fried rice syndrome” remains basically an urban legend.

• randombullet@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 hours ago

5 days without putting it into the fridge? That’s asking for trouble.

I feel comfortable about 2-4 hours without a fridge, but I’ve occasionally left rice out 12 hours a few times with no issues. Same with pasta.

• Che Banana@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Food needs to cool down to 4° (40f) within the 2-4hrs to be safe as a good rule.

Rice is a dish I serve the meal with, then take the extra that is hot and put into a shallow container to cool at room temp while eating dinner & then refrigerate.

• quixotic120@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

4 hours max in the zone between 40 and 140F is the general guideline for risk. There are a lot of nuances to it like how pasteurization and sous vide cooking work but in general that’s a good rule of thumb

• Doom@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 hours ago

Also to note that’s only if you’re gonna continue to store it.

Food left out for more than four hours is safe to consume like pizza but if you’re not gonna finish it, trash it at that point you cannot store it anymore.

• quixotic120@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 hours ago

This is incorrect

4 hours is the safe to consume cutoff per other agencies (like the center for food safety in the uk) but they agree foods that spent more that 2 hours in 40-140F shouldn’t be refrigerated, even if still safe to eat

https://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/trade_zone/safe_kitchen/Temperature_Danger_Zone.html

The usda is far more conservative. Same basic guidelines but food should be refrigerated within an hour and discarded after 2. Dunno if this is reflective of changes in quality in the food supply or just more concern for liability

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/food-safety-basics/danger-zone-40f-140f

Will you get food poisoning if you eat 6 hour old pizza? Frankly almost certainly not, but it depends on a number of factors like if and how it was handled, the holding temp during service, immunocompromised status, etc. real world studies on pizza specifically show fairly low bacterial growth on pizza that was prepared safely and not handled, but significantly more (although still pretty low) if the pizza was handled during serving (which is more realistic).

But I mean literally millions of people eat rare beef every day without issue so it’s about how much risk you’re willing to tolerate, ultimately

• DaCrazyJamez@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 hours ago

Rare beef is a bit of an anomaly in that the meat is quite dense, and while the surface can grow bacteria, the interior spolis much slower (not to say its safe forever, but can be safe eat cooked Pennsylvania rare, for example).

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

We had a rule where if you left pizza out for 24 hours, it’s still good if you’re willing to have diarrhea butt.

After 48 hours, it’s still good if you’re willing to vomit.

In college, definitely had people who took those risks.

• shinratdr@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 hours ago

Cooked stuff is borderline if it spends 5 days in the fridge. 5 days NOT in the fridge is insanity.

• shinratdr@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 hours ago

I know you CAN eat 5 day old stuff out of the fridge, but it’s at the point where I would be suspicious, depending on the item.

• shinratdr@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 hours ago

Ok well literally everything tells you not to do that. Do what you want, but general rule is 3-4 days for most meat things, and you should be careful at 5.

• P00ptart@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 hours ago

Same, it depends on the item and how I’m able to store it. BBQ i feel pretty comfortable keeping in the fridge for up to 5 days, but most things I try to keep down to 2 days. 3 at most. Certainly anything starchy like noodles or rice, potatoes and such, no more than 2.

• Im_old@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

I was doing something similar and even in the fridge at day 5 I could taste that it was borderline ok. At 5 days on the counter it must have tasted so fermented it was bubbling.

Pasta and kimchi all in one.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

I wonder if it was like closed with a lid and wet or if it was kinda open an dry. Either way, after 5 days I would not eat either one. Fucking yuck!

• toddestan@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 hours ago

It was sealed in an airtight container, Tupperware or something like that.

Best case would be put it into a clean, dried container when the pasta is still steaming hot and seal it right away. But I still wouldn’t touch it after 5 days.

• grasshopper_mouse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 hours ago

5 days??? Yikes. I feel uncomfortable if I leave food out for an hour just to let it cool down. I’ll admit I’ve done some stupid stuff with leaving food out in my younger years (pizza left in the box on the counter for 2-3 days; one time while deployed to Iraq I stupidly thought the floor of our trailer would remain cool enough to keep an open can of chip dip fresh – Newsflash: It did not), but 5 days??

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 hours ago

I’ve have food out frequently for like half a day / overnight but 5 days sounds absolutely insane to me. I don’t even want to know how the noodles must’ve looked like, probably already smelled at that point too. Makes me queasy just thinking about eating that…

• grasshopper_mouse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

Right!? On the one hand I feel like this guy was a dumb-dumb, but on the other hand, maybe he was never taught proper food safety, or maybe this was his first time living alone and cooking for himself and he just didn’t know any better. Sad way to die either way.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

I’m a stupid person and honestly I believed that if you microwaved anything long enough, it’ll kill the bad germs. it made sense: radio waves === kill zone.

Then a microbiologist explained to me that you’re just killing the living organisms, not the toxic waste they leave behind which is still on the food. I was in my 30s when I learned that.

I can only imagine what other weird shit people believe because nobody ever said anything and they just put 2+2 together.

• Brekky@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 hours ago

Honest question. What do you do with pizza if you still have leftovers on day 3+? I feel odd putting bread in the fridge.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 hours ago

What do you do with pizza if you still have leftovers on day 3+?

You use it as a Frisbee outside.

• toddestan@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 hours ago

If I had leftover pizza and I knew I wasn’t going to get to eating it within 3 days, it’s going in the freezer.

• NABDad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

I can’t remember the last time leftover pizza was still around in my house after 24 hours, but any pizza not eaten in goes into the fridge as soon as everyone is done eating.

• grff@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

For pizza I feel gross if I don’t put it in the fridge at least an hour after receiving it, then reheat in oven or eat cold. It’s not just bread it’s sauce and dairy and whatever meat or toppings are on it…