cross-posted from: https://discuss.tchncs.de/post/22423685

EDIT: For those who are too lazy to click the link, this is what it says

Hello,

Sad news for everyone. YouTube/Google has patched the latest workaround that we had in order to restore the video playback functionality.

Right now we have no other solutions/fixes. You may be able to get Invidious working on residential IP addresses (like at home) but on datacenter IP addresses Invidious won’t work anymore.

If you are interested to install Invidious at home, we remind you that we have a guide for that here: https://docs.invidious.io/installation/..

This is not the death of this project. We will still try to find new solutions, but this might take time, months probably.

I have updated the public instance list in order to reflect on the working public instances: https://instances.invidious.io. Please don’t abuse them since the number is really low.

Feel free to discuss this politely on Matrix or IRC.

• brrt@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 minutes ago

And how are they going to make a living to keep producing videos?

I’d say ask them to join Nebula.

• Meldrik@lemmy.wtf
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 minutes ago

That depends. If they only make a living with YT ads, then it’s going to be hard.

• Meldrik@lemmy.wtf
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        32 minutes ago

What is the alternative name for someone who creates content for a platform?

• Ilovethebomb@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 minutes ago

Showman/woman refers to a pretty specific type of performer, I.E someone who is on stage typically.

Entertainer isn’t a label I’d necessarily apply to educational content, for example.

• Nima@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

i absolutely despise youtube. these fuckers are putting ads on paused videos now, and then this.

they will never get better. only worse. we need regulations badly.

• geography082@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 minute ago

I would suggest the devs to be able to create instances from within tor. It would be slow, but impossible to block. Or from any other network that don’t rely on single IP access to YouTube . Or, make a mesh of collaborative home instances. Google can’t block millions of home IPs. Or use any mesh collaborative network capable of it.

• solrize@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    46 minutes ago

Sad to hear. Newpipe is still working fine (as of a couple minutes ago) if that helps. That’s through a residential IP. I will try yt-dlp from a data center IP when I get a chance. I hope they haven’t blocked that.

• hollyberries@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

Right now we have no other solutions/fixes. You may be able to get Invidious working on residential IP addresses (like at home) but on datacenter IP addresses Invidious won’t work anymore.

This might explain why mine has been reliable even though it hasn’t been updated in months. I guess add me to the list of confirmations that it works on residential connections.